Menu
Tibet Train
Jul 2, 2006 11:00
  • KEVINWARDCFC
Dear People of China, WSe are all rwading with pride about the new rail link to Tibet, the highest in the world. I find myself wondering what you people in China think. Is there a sense of pride in the achievement? Kevin
Jul 2, 2006 18:23
  • RUNNERMORE
It's a great achievement, took years and many workers to make it. It is laid on the world's highest region and the longest plateau railroad, also the first railway connecting the Tibet Autonomous Region with other parts of China. But what will the railway take to Tibet and people there. Will the environments and ecosystem be destroied? I'm a little worried about it!

Jul 2, 2006 19:55
  • PINETREE
This news has been announced all over the world to attract tourists & investors to Tibet. Definitely there will be some alteration to the nature & eco-systems of the region. But there is no choice, I think.
Everybody is forcing everyone else to open up - mainly for their own good.
Jul 2, 2006 20:46
  • LEMONCACTUS
I remember a few years ago the announcement of the rail link to Lhasa being treated with utter dismay by the travellers circuit.

It was expected to 'destroy' any notion of the magic, the mystery, the remoteness of Tibet.

Now in China, I see the rail link as my chance at fulfilling a dream to visit this land. I hope very much to go myself next summer, so I can hardly lament its existence.

On the other hand. I imagine that the 'essence' of Tibet will retreat further and further behind a facade that will spring up in direct response to all the tourists. Tibet cannot remain unchanged by this and perhaps those who visited before the rail link and those who visit after will encounter a very different place.

I worry for the traditions and for the purity of the landscape. I hope someone is looking out for them both.
Jul 3, 2006 00:53
  • CALIFORNIA
It seems everyone has a plan to Tibet!

My plan:Not just visit Lhasa,including Ali,Linzhi,Rikaze,Motuo,and the amazing river!

But not sure the time:-)

Good luck!
Post a Reply to: Tibet Train
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code