Menu
Backpacking in China
Jul 21, 2006 08:50
My husband and I want to travel through China cheaply. We have backpacked through Vietnam which was easy and cheap. Is it easy to backpack through China? How much are airfares i.e. Xian to Chongquing etc and how much is accommodation. Clean, private bathroom and airconditioned? Thanks for any tips.

Jul 22, 2006 10:45
  • GRIZ326
I stayed in Shenyang and in Beijing. The 300 yuan range ($30-40 USD) hotel in Shenyang was much better than the one in Beijing. The bathrooms were poorly kept in both of them. The hotel in Shenyang included a nice buffet breakfast.

You might investigate the youth hostels. They are far less expensive.

http://www.hostelworld.com/countries/chinahostels.html?source=googleadwordscountry

Beijing rates here:

http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php?PHPSESSID=7kh4c21b4v499odmge89sej6a8ass9fi

Had I been traveling by myself, I would have stayed in hostels...or family homes if available.
Jul 22, 2006 19:43
  • GERALDINE
Hi there my husband and I backpacked through China staying in a variety of different types of accomodation. Apart from Shangahi we were always able to find cheap accomodation that was of a very good standard. We travelled from Beijing all the way down to Yangshuo in the South and never paid more that 50-60rmb per night for the two of us and our rooms were all air conditioned with private bathroom - albeit at times squat toilets. It was a fantastic experience. A great book is the Lonely Planet guide to China as it gives you budget, midrange and top range accomodation in each town even small villages. A big book that is heavy and does cost a reasonable amount but it was our bible for accomodation, travel and attractions and certainly stopped us being ripped off as it gives solid indications of all costs that you should be paying.
Good luck and have a great time- we did!!
Nov 12, 2006 00:11
Thank you Geraldine. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Did you use local guides during your trip?
Nov 12, 2006 09:37
  • YINMEI
Hi Phantomrose101,

The airticket is RMB700+RMB110(Tax/Oil) for Xian to my hometown Chongqing,sometimes if you book it in advance,you could get discount.At same time,the overnight train just charge RMB113 for hand sleeper;RMB184 for soft sleeper.The departs at 16:58pm in Xian and arrives at 07:32am in Chongqin.
I think that you should take a cruise ship down the river to tour Yangtze three gorges and new dam site,after you visit Chongqing.
The accommodations is not expensive in Chongqing,You could stay in a hotel standard room with private bath-room,air-conditioner,free drinking water for only RMB100 per day.
For more info,please reach yahoo.com.cn|jimmy_yj88

Cheers!
Nov 17, 2006 09:38
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there,
Backpacking is pretty easy in China if you've had expereince elsewhere. Travelling with a Lonely Planet or equivelant is a must. Do some homework online and if you are travelling to a tight schedule book youth hostels online before, as they are pretty heavily utilized in popular places while other cities will have no shortage of good quality budget accommodation around the train and bus stations and the downtown districts.

You can often get a nice double for Y80 with a regular toilet and A/C if you are travelling off season and in less popular places. Avoid popular spots on weekends.

Trains are best travel option for longer distances and don't dismiss buses, I use them a lot, often quicker and certainly more frequent than trains and just as comfortable. Some places they are the only option.

Out of season you can get very good deals on airfares. I flew to Xian from CQ for less than Y500 at the end of June this year but a few days later the fare had risen to Y630 inclusive.

Ask Jimmy to recommend a budget hotel in CQ as they have been difficult to come by. LP is doing an update but won't be published until next year. Too late for you but you can get OK rooms for less than Y300

In the bigger cities if place is not too busy, just make out that it is more than you want to pay. Don't be put off by the listed price on the walls as they will nearly always offer a discount to get customers unless they are fully booked.

Have a great trip
Nov 17, 2006 09:41
  • JABAROOTOO
Depending on the season you are travelling and the destinations it is no problem to get flights a day or two before you want to fly and it will be cheaper to buy your tickets here.

They can be purchased at the airport or hotels offer a service some for a small fee.
Nov 21, 2007 21:41
GUESTCECILIA Hi there
Planning a trip to china next year. Has anyone tried buying train tickets online?
Nov 21, 2007 22:35
  • ELLYSE
Don't recommend it since they charge an arm and a leg for the "privilege".
Nov 23, 2007 10:32
  • APAULT
Backpacking is easy if you speak some Chinese - I have found it a bit mnore difficult!! nevertheless I have done a few months of it. Sometimes you will have a problem finding the right bus or train, or a cheap hotel, so allow enough time.

Check out the www.yhachina.com website. There are now many hostels in China. But if you want a private room they are usually more expensive than cheap hotels. In most hostels you will meet other travellers. Even cheap rooms in hotels and most hostels have aircon. I never pay over 100 rmb per night...but the standard is very low by western standards.

Do some searches in the forums as we have often written about budget travel.

Jul 13, 2009 14:01
GUESTJON IN CA I am planning a trip to China very soon. I am looking for backpacking buddy(ies) to see China the cheap and local way! I speak and read Mandarin Chinese and I have been to Guandong Province briefly. That's when I realize I want to explore this contry and its people more. I plan to use public transportation and stay in youth hotels and local homes whenever possible.

If this sounds like your cup of tea, please post a message so we can get hooked-up.

Jon
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Backpacking in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code