Menu
Teaching English in China without Tesol certificate
Aug 14, 2006 13:01
  • JOKERMAN2007
Hello there:

Is it possible to find a teaching position, in China,without, first obtaining a tesol certificate? I would like to teach English as a second language but notice that some or many positions require a certificate or experience. I am a native English speaker, with experience in nursing. I am looking for a position, teaching primary school, in a small or medium sized city. Are there any such positions and where would they be? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jokerman2007
hotmail.com|jokerman2007
Aug 14, 2006 19:16
  • RITA
TESOL Certificate is very important here, but your education background is more important, if you got BA or higher degree, as a native English speaker, Tesol certificate is not at all necessary for most schools. But if you do not have a BA degree, TESOL is a must to get a teaching position in China.

When talking about teaching profession, i meant teaching in higher education schools, where you will have more free time to travel, learning Chinese, etc... primary schools and middle schools will be different.
Aug 14, 2006 19:19
  • RITA
Some of our foreign members here are more qualified for answering your questions. :D
Aug 15, 2006 23:47
  • APAULT
Hi Joker

Yes it is possible to get a job provided you have at least a first degree. Generally there is a shortage so somewhere will take u. There is a vacancy where I work in Zhanjiang in far south Guandong.... send me a personal message if u'd like to know more.

Sep 24, 2006 15:15
  • JUSTIN
Hi there, thanks for your reply and the tips about Beijing airport, i'll be waiting there for about 12 hours on wednesday night on my way to Wuhan. Also sorry for the delay in my reply, it's been a bit complicated at this end.

I'm teaching english in Wuhan and on my many forays on the net i did see that a BA is preferred but not always essential when applying, common sense in my view. I read you're interested in that and i reckon, as an outsider of course (!) that being a native speaker counts fort a helluva lot.

Apologies again for the delay! Laters
Sep 24, 2006 22:35
  • GRIZ326
May I please tag along on this thread...

I am the holder of hundreds of copyrights and have published at least 3 copyrighted books...

Two of those books were written for major US corporations.

...add to this that I was the publisher of two registered newspapers in the USA.

...any of this trump a Bachelor's degree?

I, too, have been thinking about teaching English in China.

:)

Sep 25, 2006 00:36
  • PINETREE
Well, it seems that the fact that as long as you are white, surviving is not a big problem - even in China.
These lucky people.
Sep 25, 2006 00:39
  • LEMONCACTUS
The advice you have here is pretty accurate Jokerman.

Though I think I'm right in saying that primary schools in China are not allowed to employ foreign teachers. So you would be looking at working in a middle school or high school. There are opportunities to work with younger children in the private language school sector.

It really does depend on the individual institution.

Currently either a BA/BSc/first degree OR a TESOL will definitely get you a teaching job as long as you are a NATIVE speaker. If you have both, or better, you can pick just about anywhere you like.

There are teaching vacancies all over China, and there won't be a glut of schools in one place with a specific policy. Your best idea is to visit some of the dedicated websites (and there are loads). Dave's ESL Cafe is a great place to start looking.

Griz, again, I think experience does (and should) count for a lot but as China wises up to the fact that native speaker does not necessarily equal good English teacher, the desire for teaching experience or formal education increases. As with all things, it's worth a try and there is no National 'standard' in China for what English teachers should/shouldn't have.... but things are changing all the time!

Good luck :)
Sep 25, 2006 10:00
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Joker,
I worked last year in a primary school and the previous year in a K12 school teaching both primary and middle school students.

Lemoncactus is correct in her comment that there is less opportuinty to find work in primary schools and prabably even less in smaller cities.

Some contract teachers through agencies and others have government approval, and are usually 'experimental'achools , and I use that term lightly but it is what they are called here and are generally attached to the most prestigious Universities and Language schools in the country.

Example: I work in Chongqing and we now have a special school atttached to Beijing University where some of my old Chinese colleagues are now working.

My primary school was attached to the No 1 Language school in CQ which in turn is attached to the NO.1 Language University for all of Sichuan and Chongqing so they help each other out a little but before I worked they contracted a teacher through an agency for several years but some of the teachers don;t last long.

Do a search. You will find something but probably not is a small ciy. You will need either a Degree in anything or Tesol if you have no expereince. If you are qualified teacher you should have no trouble.

Good luck
Sep 25, 2006 18:54
  • DUNC
Joker,

It's easy enough without a TESOL/TEFL qualification, so long as you have a Degree or higher. Some schools, (like mine) offer increased pay scales for a higer level of education. We also had one teacher last year with no degree but had obtained a TESOL. He did have some difficulty finding other work for the new year because of his lack in formal higher ed., even though he was probably better qualified to teach English than many 'Degree holders' of which many have never stood in a classroom in their lives!

The Govt. here is apparently tightening up the visa system, meaning teachers should enter the PRC with work visas already in place, however I know of teachers who have still entered China on tourist visas and simply upgraded, although this greatly depends on the relationship with the local PSB. (allegedly).

GOOD LUCK..

ps before entering any agreement, make sure you have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in writing...accom. rules(travel costs,visitors,drinking water,power costs,internet + PC availability, phone charges etc)/security bonds/holiday pay.

99% of schools are probably completely fair and honest but there's always one, (in every country) that'll try to take advantage.

Sep 26, 2006 08:02
  • APAULT
Yes, Dunc is right, getting an appropriate visa depends on a schools relationship with the PSB. I have heard that there is a tightening up but seen no evidence locally. The F visa (general work visa)is quite adequate and in some ways is better than a Z(easier to break a bum contract). As I understand it, anyone can apply for an F on the grounds they want to work here, oer start a business or live here for 6 months or more. It costs more than a tourist visa and you have to have a medical..basically not have Aids, Syphillis or TB, be able to see and hear.

But do go carefully with the porivate language centres... they do noty have a great reputation for honesty.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Teaching English in China without Tesol certificate
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code