Menu
Teaching English in China without Tesol certificate
Sep 26, 2006 08:02
  • APAULT
Yes, Dunc is right, getting an appropriate visa depends on a schools relationship with the PSB. I have heard that there is a tightening up but seen no evidence locally. The F visa (general work visa)is quite adequate and in some ways is better than a Z(easier to break a bum contract). As I understand it, anyone can apply for an F on the grounds they want to work here, oer start a business or live here for 6 months or more. It costs more than a tourist visa and you have to have a medical..basically not have Aids, Syphillis or TB, be able to see and hear.

But do go carefully with the porivate language centres... they do noty have a great reputation for honesty.
Nov 2, 2007 00:12
GUESTMICHAEL Hello! I am interested in teaching English in China. May I request more information on the vacancy position mentioned.
Thanks!
Nov 26, 2007 11:07
GUEST81922 hi, i was wondering if my medical certifications would be honored in shanghi?
i am a phlebotomist/EKG tech.
i want to relocate in early feb. & have NO idea where to start inquiring..any help is grately appreciated.
yahoo.com|tracymarano2005
Dec 12, 2007 00:13
GUEST32245 I AM A MEDICAL STUDENT HERE IN WUHAN AND WISH TO TEACH ENGLISH AS A PART TIME JOD DURING MY FREE HOURS.I NEED ANY VACANT POSITION AVAILABLE.
Dec 13, 2007 08:09
  • APAULT
Teaching in Wuhan: I do not think you are permitted to teach on a student visa, so ask around in your town quietly. The language centres are likely employers.
Dec 14, 2007 04:48
GUESTANGIE Why would you not want to take the TESL course? It is a realitively short process...Speaking English is one thing..TEACHING it is quite another...For your own sanity and hope of half decent pay I recommend you get your certificate.....Personally I am getting sick and tired and somewhat ashamed of the 'crappy' English teachers arriving in China.
Mar 11, 2008 23:09
GUEST43134 I'd say the best bet for you in finding an honest school would be to contact the school's existing Foreign experts and ask them how they have been treated... I have been here 6 years and while like others have mentioned 99% of the schools are great, but I have heard some horro stores as well.

In regards to the degree question; It seems that requirements differ as to regions; my mates in Shayang say the TEFL is worthless, the BA a must. But for me in the south; I can hire a FT with a Degree and/or a TEFL.

As for those with no BA and no Degree, well I think it's pretty hard. Some schools with a specific vocational target can hire Foreign Experts (I.E: a nursing school could hire a FT with nursing experience, a lumber company could hire a mill worker to teach their staff engilsh). The problem with this is the VISA them depends entirely on the PSB, and in most cases the school having an urgent need for a teacher may not tell the FT up front that their is only a 50/50 chance of getting a visa, I've heard about people coming to China starting training and after a a few weeks having to leave ... not cool.

So the best bet would be to get a TEFL cert, if only to protect yourself and give yourself some peice of mind, and research the school carefully

Good Luck
Mar 12, 2008 11:43
GUEST87137 Id like to add as well. I came to China without any prior experience, or TESOL. The company i hooked up with provides training for TESOL, so you don't go into a classroom blind. I teach at a Middleschool, 60-70 kids in each class. Hope you find what youre looking for!
Jul 25, 2009 12:38
GUEST27941 helo,iam a student at huazhong university ,iam looking for teaching job in wuhan.if anybody interested email me:
yahoo.com|rayk2002tz
Aug 4, 2009 14:31
GUESTKATHY Hi,

I am considering teaching in China. However, I was born in China but came to Canada when I was little. I'm wondering whether being a Chinese affects my chances of landing a job as a foreign teacher?

I have a Bachelor's Degree and I'm planning on getting a TESOL certificate.

Thanks
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Teaching English in China without Tesol certificate
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code