Menu
Fun with Chinese
Aug 31, 2006 06:37
  • MISHEN
Here's something just for fun - can anyone guess what this character means?

Aug 31, 2006 09:41
  • JABAROOTOO
Do you know what it means. I have no idea but that is not surprising.

Lower part is character for man or strenth isn't it. I'm surprised someone hasn't answered this yet. I don't have my dictionary unpacked so cannot eaven cheat by looking it up.

Waiting
Aug 31, 2006 12:46
  • GRIZ326
I tried to draw the character in Pleco, but could only get the bottom 2/3rds to work. The bottom means man, son, or barron.
Aug 31, 2006 20:22
  • MAY001
o, I never seen this character before! What is it, mishen? Does this mean a man in home or something like househusband? ^0^
Aug 31, 2006 20:25
  • CONNY129
Oh , my God , what does that word mean ? I think I saw it before ,but I don't know how to pronounce it :( what a shame
Sep 1, 2006 11:12
  • MISHEN
Haha... May is almost right.

This is 'feminist' Chinese - the character is 'an'!

'An' means 'peace' and is supposed to be written as the figure of a woman under a roof - in the old society, if a man has a woman at home, he can feel comfort. But this character isn't fair to girls!

In English, a lot of words that were unfair to women have been changed. For example, we used to say 'Mailman' for someone who delivers letters - but what happens if the person delivering the letter is a girl? Nowadays, thanks to the Women's Rights Movement, we should really say 'postal worker' or something like that.

So this character is revolutionary! It means that sometimes 'peace' is just as likely to be a man at home than a woman at home. Either way, if the person you love is at home, it means they're not outside with someone else!

What do you think of 'feminist Chinese?' How many other characters should be updated to support women's rights?!

Sep 1, 2006 16:56
  • CHYNAGYRL
Mishen, that is really funny! I have never seen these new characters before. But if you ask me, i think sometimes feminism goes too far. A woman in a house represents peace to many more people than a man in a house. Even though I'm not advocating stereotypes, women are still nurturers and men are more often leaders.
Sep 3, 2006 20:45
  • CALIFORNIA
Terrible:-)

Great job,Lao Mai!!!
Sep 5, 2006 04:14
  • MAY001
So this character should be "楼", the feminist Chinese.
Very interesting, mishen. Where did you get this pictures? I believe we can make a lot of feminist Chinese according to this. ^0^
Sep 5, 2006 20:15
  • CALIFORNIA
So difficult to understand:(
Sep 5, 2006 20:34
  • LOVEISVERB
There are no real feminists in China (at least in western sense, being independent is another matter), it's Western thing, sorry.

There are more reasons to put a 女 in a character than to depreciate women. The structure of Chinese words can't be interpreted so easily and roughly. SO..... people can't just distort Chinese characters like that.

There are no feminists in China, so there is no feminist Chinese.

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Fun with Chinese
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code