Menu
Fireworks in Dadonghai
Sep 22, 2006 08:18
I came to Sanya/Dadonghai sevaral times over the last few years. Every time I saty a few months. As I posted here before, I find the whole area great and I love it being here.

Here is why I write now: I'm not chinese and I lived most of my life in Europe and USA, so I may be looking at things from a diferent perspective! In this particular case, my oppinion is that people should not explode very loud/long lasting/big fireworks in highly populated areas after, say, 10pm. I belive this is also the law in Sanya.

Therfore, I find the extermely loud and continous noise, that every night lasts until 1am, very offensive and hard to tolearte and I view this as antisocial behavior. Moreover, I suspect that beachfront hotels lose on repeat customers, who can't sleep during their vacation in Dadonghai. Not to mention, again, that there are local (Sanya) laws against it, albeit such laws and grosely ignored!

So, I pose a question to my fellow readers and Sanya lovers: what do you think, do I have a wrong perspetive on fireworks 'playing', is this a 'chinese thing' and people should be allowed to continue ignoring their own laws of civilzed behavior? Should something be done to regulate and stop such behavior?

My best regards to all the Sanya site readers and great weather year long to all of you,

GM

Sep 22, 2006 08:37
  • INMEDIC
Hey green mountain,

When the people let off the fireworks is it during a celebration holiday or is it just a regular day? I understand your concern and know it may be irritating to some people but the people want to celebrate a holiday.
Sep 22, 2006 18:05
  • XIAOGUI
Hi Greenmountain
After having lived in
China for most of the last 3 years, I have found that people making too much noise at any time of the day seems to be taken for granted.I have also spent time in Dadonghai and found that the noise from the fireworks on the beach is nothing compared to the noises on the street until 2 or 3 in the morning.You must remember that Sanya is a "tourist" city and for people on holiday, sleeping is the last thing they want to do!
Sep 22, 2006 22:31
  • PINETREE
First of all, whoever visits China (or for that matter anywhere else in the world) should observe a basic knowledge in life - not every country and every people are the same. Each people/country has his own values and standards. There is no standard standard.
Do not bring your own values and standards to another country. This great country has been in existence long before most others & have been accepted as a country with high/sophisticated culture. She is surviving well - so are her people. The Chinese don't go to other countries and try to impose their values on their hosts - to most Asians, this is basically bad manners.
The rule is very simple :
IF U DON'T LIKE DON'T COME.
I believe we are not invited to be there - we are there because we want to be there for what China is. There is a Chinese say "don't take over as the host" - know your own position and harmony will prevail.
Sep 23, 2006 10:03
  • TEKNOMED
Dear Pinetree you put it so well and correct. Don't you think it is a bit strong for our "cultured, civilised" western guests? Dear cultured, civilised" western guests, the days of "Chinaman and dogs" not allowed in their own country were over a long time ago. they rule their own country now. they decide what is best for themselves, so just enjoy your holidays and join in the fun. You never know what you miss until you join in the fun.
Sep 24, 2006 19:20
  • LOVEISVERB
People enjoy doing it and they have been doing that for hurdreds of years, and they still enjoy it, so they SHOULD do, the locals know what SHOULD do and what SHOULD NOT. To label it as "antisocial behavior" is a bit ham, don't you think so?

P.S. "When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable."

Thanks
Post a Reply to: Fireworks in Dadonghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code