Menu
How reliable and stable is electricity?
Sep 22, 2006 15:48
  • GRIZ326
Once you are outside of major cities, is the electricity supply reliable, stable, and generally surge free?

I am considering this with regards to the electronics I bring on my next trip...

Thanks,
Griz

Sep 22, 2006 20:11
  • ALICEGAO
It's 2006 now, I don't think there'll be any BIG problem with electricity supply even in countryside of China! haha...
And, where'll you go for next trip? But if you want to go camping in primitive forest, definetely no stable and reliable electricity supplied by power supply bureau, it depends on the quality of the generator you brought there.
Have fun in your next trip withoout worrying too much about electricity, haha...
Sep 23, 2006 06:45
  • CORTEX
QUOTE: Once you are outside of major cities, is the electricity supply reliable, stable, and generally surge free?

You mean in USAmerica???
Sep 23, 2006 10:53
  • GRIZ326
I'll start in Guangzhou and want to see Guilin, Chengdu, Xian, Datong and if I can get a travel permit for Tibet - camp at the Everest base camp and visit the villages.

This time I'll be visiting for the culture, the natural beauty (lovely women are not excluded, but not what I mean ;) ), and amazing architecture.
Sep 24, 2006 01:18
  • ALICEGAO
As for the first four cities you're going to visit, I'm sure that you can get reliable, stable electricity-supply, and generally surge free.
But I have no idea about Tibet, I haven't been to there yet, not interested in traveling there by now. So, you got to ask others about it, sorry for that.
Experiencing culture is an interesting, but also an annoying thing to do, I think. Wish you have fun in it! Oh well, natural beauty... Good! haha...
Sep 24, 2006 09:58
  • JABAROOTOO
All the cities you have mentioned are large and see no problem outside of what you may find anywhere else on the planet. In some of the smaller cheaper establishments you will definately come across some dodgy wiring fromtime to time and the occasional socket that simply does not work. I've never had a problem and even in village homestay where they have electricity but no running water.

It is 2006.
Sep 24, 2006 11:06
  • APAULT
I take a slightly different view from the earlier contributors. You should definitely buy a surge protector when you get here...cheaper here than home. The supply does surge from time to time and could blow yr puter.

Also the electrical wiring is appalling. Joints are made with tape only, thin wires are used where heavier duty ones should be used; many powerboards are defective - often omitting earthing..or you get a board which accepts 3 pin plugs but only has a 2 pin plug to go into the socket (so do not buy cheapies from the markets); you can get tingling shocks from leakage on hot water immersion tanks most of which are simply using standard plugs which are frequently in the line of the shower spray itself ! ; power sockets are often flimsy and frequently broken inside. Oh, and all the above are examples of my own experiences in cities.

Take care !!!
Post a Reply to: How reliable and stable is electricity?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code