Menu
Travelling from Kunming to (a) Dali and (b) Lijiang
Oct 17, 2004 22:35
  • SPOREGUY
Hi,

I'm flying to Kunming mid-November, and staying there for about 5 nights. Would like to know if how it is to travel from Kunming to (a) Dali and (b) Lijiang?

I guess a daytrip is not possible... ie leave Kunming in the morning for say Dali, and return to Kunming in the evening by bus? Or train? Or is this only way by plane?

We are a group of 6 people ...4 adults and 2 children below 12. No interest in golf. Would like to do more sight-seeing, eg: scenery etc. What would you recommened we do for the 5 full-days we have in Kunming?

Can some kind souls help?

Many thanks,
Spore Guy
Oct 19, 2004 10:17
  • DAISY
From Kunming to Dali, you can take flight, and each day there are 2 flights with the airfare RMB340.
And from Dali to Lijiang, you should take bus ate the Western Station or The South Station. And it would ake your about 9 hours (RMB152) at least or 11 hours (RMB105) at most.
Oct 22, 2004 23:07
  • SPOREGUY
Hi Daisy,
Thanks. Looks like the only way from Kunming to Dali or Lijiang is by flight ... and since I only have 5 full days in Kunming, looks like I can't visit Dali or Kunming.

I have 5 full days to spend in Kunming ...any suggestions, any one? We don't play golf. Would just like to sight-see and relax.

Thanks,
Spore Guy
Oct 26, 2004 09:54
  • DAISY
Hi, Spore Guy!
Of course you also can take train from Kunming to Dali, take train at the Nanyao Station, the main railway station of Kunming, and it would take about 7 hours. And RMB50 for a hard seat ticket and 85 for a hard sleeper middle bunk.
But if that, it would spend more time on the train.
If visit Kunming, the Stone Forst should be your 1st must see. It is one of the city's most famous sights, came into being about 270 million years ago. It is filled with wonderful fairy tales as well as the colorful folk customs of the Sani minority group. On the way to the Stone Forest lies the Jiuxiang Scenic Area, a pleasant spot to split up your journey.
And Lake Dian is the sixth largest freshwater lake in the nation. Alongside is the famous Yunan Nationalities Village. This spot is filled with colorful ethnic customs, residences, and singing and dancing, as well as beautiful mountains, clear water and elegant gardens. The Western Hills Forest Park is also located near the lake bank, and in the park itself stands an exquisite Dragon Gate suspended between the blue sky and the dangerous steep cliffs.
The famous Flowers and Birds Market in Jingxing Street is the city's biggest, most attractive shopping market where spring reigns all year.
Hope what I point above can really make you love this Spring City.
Oct 26, 2004 09:55
  • DAISY
And

Temperature swings between night and day can be huge in Kunming. It can get really cold at night, so travelers should bring several pieces of warm clothing. During the day, sunshine can get rather strong and it can be a good idea to bring along a pair of sunglasses and put some sun block. Take care to eat fruit and drink enough water to prevent dehydration.
May 12, 2006 02:24
  • CLARENCE
Hi, is bus the only way from Dali to Lijiang? Thanks.

Clarence
May 12, 2006 06:30
  • MONICA218
Hi ,
I think you should find a tour agent and let them to arrange the travel for you ,may be it better and can made your trave easier., you can get the information from http://www.lonelychina.com/kunming

wish you have a good journey!
May 12, 2006 10:36
  • ETHNICEAST
day 1 arr kmg visit kmg city various places
day 2 morning visit minorities village. leave kmg afternoon by bus to dali, 5 hours only. visit dali old city by night.
day 3 visit morning cangshan by cable chair lifts
afternoon visit xizhou village
at night take overnight sleeping train 11pm to come back to kmg arr 8am.
day 4 arr kmg. visit west hills or stone forest.
day 5 shopping in the morning. take flight to sin in the afternoon.
forget about lijiang, not possible. unless you fly both ways.

May 14, 2006 01:57
  • CLARENCE
Hi I will also be travelling to KMG-Dali-Lijiang but it's a 10-day trip in June, from 7-17 June.

I got most of the trip iternary mapped out, theoretically (hahaha), thanks to the help I gather from this forum and my lonely planet guide book, which is in tatters right now...

Anyway, there are a couple of questions that I would like to find out from you guys.

1. How is the temperature like in June at Dali, Lijiang and the Tiger Leaping Gorge? I heard these places are at a higher altitude.

2. Can anyone recommend me a good and reliable guesthouse to stay in these 3 cities? For KMG, I intend to stay at the Camelia cos it's recommended by alot of people. Is there an alternative? How about in Dali and Lijiang? Any nice guesthouse to stay in? Is June a peak season for travellers in China? If yes, I think I ought to make a booking now right? I'm from Singapore so I would prefer to make an internet booking than call...

Cheers!
May 14, 2006 03:09
  • PINETREE
I think in June Kunming should be quite watm but still cooler than SG - I would guestimate it to be high 20s. In summer, Kunming tends to drizzle & it can be chilly.
Dali/Lijiang should be just right - cool. Liajing esp should be very beautiful then - but expect huge crowd. There is another ancient town about 5 km from Lijiang old town, called Suhe. It is nice too and not so crowded as Lijiang. Ask the taxi driver to bring u there.
At Lijiang u may want to try the SanHe Courtyard Hotel - very nice @ about 300 rmb.
I also stayed in 1 small family kezhan, Mr Yang's Inn(tel:86-0888-5115555 or 6667070. It's run by a Taiwanese with a Chinese wife. Cost less than 200rmb/nite. very nice, cosy & personal. It's at the edge of the old Town Square.
May 14, 2006 03:16
  • PINETREE
By the way, taking train/bus from KunMing to Dali can be quite taxing esp the overnight train. Take a flight to Lijiang where u can take local tours to Tiger Leaping Gorge, Dali, Lugu Lake and nearby attractions. At Lijiang u can also choose to join backpackers for tour.
There is plenty of accomodation in Lijiang and cheap ones, too.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Travelling from Kunming to (a) Dali and (b) Lijiang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code