Menu
Money access
Sep 26, 2006 10:38
  • RWDCA
Do the major Cchinese Banks ATMs recognize Canadian debit cards for cash withdrawals and can I use Canadian debit cards in the stores for shopping or will I need cash for that
Sep 26, 2006 20:53
  • INMEDIC
Hi RWDCA,

I can only tell you while I was in Shanghai I used my ATM card at Citi Bank and I had no problem getting U S Dollars. They have Citi Banks in Beijing also so I don't think you should have a problem going to a Citi Bank but you may try and email a Citi Bank or call them if you have one near you. I hope this helped. Have a good time in China
Sep 28, 2006 05:38
  • JABAROOTOO
You may use your debit cards at all Bank of China branches around the country. You can also use your cards for eftpos at many of the major airports and international hotels but I would suggest for shopping purposes that you have enough cash on you. Very few stores take credit cards let alone foreign debit cards but things are moving quickly when it comes to 'money matters' so we will expect to see some more changes soon.
Sep 28, 2006 10:59
  • GRIZ326
My bank locked my ATM card after one use in Beijing.
Let your bank know that you will be using charge cards and ATM cards in China to hopefully avoid this problem.

BTW - My bank locked my ATM card on my last trip to Canada too...claiming there's too much fraud.
Post a Reply to: Money access
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code