Menu
LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
Oct 3, 2006 23:22
  • TEKNOMED
Is there such a thing as Love At First Sight or we mistake Attraction as Love? Or is it a special scent "pheromone" that arouses our desire?
Oct 9, 2006 17:11
  • GRIZ326
In my case, yes.

My eyes caught the eyes of a young lady on a bus in San Diego in 1975. When she got off the bus, I followed her off and introduced myself.

While we never married, we still keep in touch and have warm feelings for each other after more than 30 years.

I'd say that qualifies as love at first sight.
Oct 9, 2006 23:34
  • ALICEGAO
Griz, I do love your story. I do believe love at first sight, although it doesn't happen quite often in daily lives.
I remember there's novel talked about why people are very easy to fall in love during the trip, it's not 'coz they can have less responsibilities while doing anything in trip, but just 'coz the person who is travling can be more like true himself and dare to seek the pure truth without taking too many other things into consideration while falling in love.

Oct 10, 2006 03:15
  • KHEMA
of course there is. it happens to me all the time :)

happened to me once when i was 20 (fell in love with a totally inappropriate person who took advantage of my puppy love and it ended in a disaster for me), then when I was 31 (fell in love at first sight and totally reciprocated, but split six months after because of irreconcileable differences :) )

last time happened to me in China, just saw a face and thought 'this is a face I can fell in love with' that was on the last day of my trip to his city. I felt i must go back, and I did, a few months later, and saw him again a few times - we haven't even exchanged a single word as we don't speak each others' languages. sometimes smile is all it's needed.

i'm going back to that city as I cannot keep myself from returning there, but it's a bit complicated as he is ordained... so, it'll forever be a silent exchange of glances and smiles.
Oct 10, 2006 12:04
Love at first sight is a myth, because love takes time to develop. There can be attraction at first sight but not love. Just imagine, what do you know about a person at first sight, almost nothing. A word of warning to those straight first sight male lovers, don't travel to Korea.
Oct 10, 2006 22:09
  • CHYNAGYRL
If you perceive correctly (see with your heart) not just your eyes, you can find true love at first sight. Sometimes our intuition bypasses all the thinking, and lets you know that you are mentally and physically compatible with someone based on first impressions.

Beyond first impressions though, an important element of love is to be able to depend on the other person, and for them to depend on you. That comes from trust and friendship, both of which take time to develop.
Oct 11, 2006 00:33
  • TEKNOMED
I guess we still do not know whether it is really Love At First Sight or we mistake Attraction as Love and Love develops later. Our emotions are reaaly difficult to dissect and identify. If we feel good inside and with the person we are with, I think that is what matters.
Oct 11, 2006 11:10
  • GRIZ326
You can't know it's love at first sight...until it lasts 30 years.

...but then look at the number of divorces!

Obviously, you cannot even tell if it's love even if marriage follows a proper courtship.

You can only know it's everlasting love looking back in time... You cannot see love into the future - only hope for it.
Oct 21, 2006 09:49
  • PINETREE
Love & marriages are different things, ladies & gentlemen.
To me, I think both Zizidenozaz(difficult to pronounce, man ) & Teknomen are right - how many of us can really identify what is love ?
For me, if I find a gal to my liking, I will fathom more to ascertain my feelings. It takes some time but normally we know how strong that feeling is - after some experiences. For the inexperienced - how can u tell what is love like ?
Oct 21, 2006 10:57
  • GRIZ326
There was a wonderful line in the unusual love story movie "As good as it gets" that stars Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson. The woman and man have just had an argument and she says, "You better hurry and say something nice, I need a compliment now." ...and the man struggles to come up with nice to say because he has a cutting personality and finally says says "...you make me want to be a better man." I think that is a good description of how a man knows that he is in love with a woman.

...of course the woman is brought to tears with such a fine compliment and she says, "That's the nicest compliment I have ever had." ...and he says, "...well...maybe I over shot the mark a bit."

It is an enjoyable movie....:)
Oct 21, 2006 15:51
  • CHYNAGYRL
GRIZ326 said it right. You know when you're in love with someone when you are a better person around them. I've always been attracted to people who are writers, philosophers, and peacemakers. Around them, I speak and write better, and am also drawn away from my natural pessimism towards a more hopeful perspective on life. I am attracted to people wiser than myself because I can be rather foolish , and tempted to do things the easy way. When someone with high moral standards is around, they keep me on the right track :-)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code