Menu
Bus trip from Kunming to Lijiang
Oct 7, 2006 03:45
  • IVIA
Hi, I wish to travel from Kunming to Lijiang in Dec. Saw that its either by plane or bus. I would like to know how long is the bus journey and the condition of the bus? how many stop over and where are the stop over? Where can I view the time table for the plane from kunming to lijiang? please advise. thank you.
Oct 7, 2006 07:57
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there,
Buses in China a very comfortable between most major cities and attractions. From Kunming to Dali(Xiaguan) is about 5/6 hours on a very new freeway so should be very comfortable. From Dali (Xiaguan) to Lijiang is less than 4 hours and also a comfortable drive on a good road but it is the only way to go and a little windy.

In December you should have no trouble getting an overnight train Dali but of course you will see none of the scenery. Your choice. Old Dali which is about 30 mins from new Dali or Xiaguan to be exact is where the train and many of the buses will come to so keep that in mind.

Dali old town is a good spot to break your trip if you have the time there is plenty to see and do in the area although I prefer Lijiang for the atmosphere.

Oct 7, 2006 09:14
  • YINMEI
Hi Ivia,

Yes,as Mrs.Jabarootoo said,you can take bus at Kunming Nanyao(南窑)long distance station which is 5minutes away from Kunming railway station.There are two kinds buses for you choose,cheaper and smaller one is IVCEO;expensive and bigger one is KINGLONG etc.It takes 40minutes from Kunming to Dali bu plane;45minutes to lijiang.
You can surf www.Ctrip.com to check plane time table.
Have a good trip.

Cheers!
Oct 27, 2006 18:32
  • TILLOTSON
There are several flights a day between Kunming and Lijiang and the cost is only $28 each way when you purchase your tickets in China (with cash). China Eastern flies new 737's and the flights are generally on time and comfortable. The Kunming airport is right in the city and a short cab ride from downtown. The Lijiang airport is new and clean and about 15km from the town. An airport shuttle costs 15RMB/person and a cab is 80RMB (after negotiation).
Dec 6, 2006 23:23
  • ROGER1
On 25 November we travelled by daytime train (ticket price 35 yuan) from Kunming to Xiaguan. The train departs at 0830 from Kunming and takes 7 hours , through good scenery but many, many tunnels. The train was gull of local people, no tourists except us. En route we saw 2 or 3 other passenger trains making the trip in the opposite direction.From Xiaguan station we boarded a no.8 local bus to Dali- this trip took 35 minutes and the fare was 1.5 yuan, which is the flat rate fare for any bus trip within the confines of Dali (including Xiaguan)
However, when we tried to take the return 0830 train from Xiaguan station to Dali on 4 December, we were abruptly told there was no daytime train ( no reason given) and had to take a bus, which cost 74 yuan to Kunming. We were unable to establish if the return daytime train was cancelled on that day only, or stopped for the winter season.
Nov 17, 2008 20:22
GUESTCINDY HI,

I wish to travel from Kunming to Lijiang in mid december.What is the best way to go? and where should I stay In Kunming and Lijiang?Could you please recommend a good 4-5 Star hotel?

Thanks
Nov 17, 2008 20:37
  • ELLYSE
Either overnight bus, or flight.
Kunming: New Era Hotel
Lijiang: stay in one of the guesthouses in the Old Town area instead.
Apr 7, 2009 11:57
  • PONDO
Dear all,

I just draft an itinerary for myself and friend by Sept. Your advise is apprciated :

D1: Paris - Nanning (noon arrive)
D2: Nanning - Pingxiang
Can we travel by car to Pingxiang (300 km???), visit Pingxiang Friendship Gate, valley of butterfly, other not miss out??.

D3: Pingxiang - Ning Ming
Take car to Ning Ming. Cruise of the Zuo River, Huashan Fresco, the Leaning Tower of Chongzuo. Any miss out?

D4: Ning Ming - Detian
Take car to De Tian (125km?) Visit De Tian Waterfalls, milestone No. 53. Any miss out?

D5: Detian – Nanning
Take a car to Sung Da (50km)? Visit Wang Hua Ming Si (is this attraction exist), visit Leaning Tower ?? Return to Nanning

D6: Nanning
The South Lake Sightseeing Area; Guangxi Provincial Museum; Qingxiu Moutain Scenic Area. Any miss out?

D7: Nanning - Kunming - Dali
Take a flight to Kunming (early morning flight?). Take car to Dali (5 hour drive??)

D8: Dali
Visit Xizhou Morning Market; Bai People’s Residence; Singing and Dancing Performance of Bai’s Sandaocha; Zhoucheng village (family’s workshop of Tie-dyeing); Cruise on the Erhai Lake. Any miss out?

D9: Dali - Jianchuan - Shaxi
Take a car to Jianchuan (140km?), visit Shibaoshan Grotto of Jianchuan. Keep going to Shaxi by car. Any miss out?

D10: Shaxi - Lijiang
Visit Sideng Street, Old Town of Shaxi. Coach to Lijiang (120km?) Any miss out?

D11: Lijiang
Visit Baish Village; Baisha Fresco; Dongba Park; Old Town of Shuhe; Black Dragon Pool; Sifang Street. Any miss out?

D12: Lijiang
Visit the Spruce Plateau of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain; Dry Sea; White Water River; Yufeng Temple; Jade Water Villa; Vancomycin floor. Any miss out?

D13: Lijiang - Chengdu
Take flight to Chengdu (flight time at 17:00). Any suggestion on cheap airline?

D14: Chengdu - 峨嵋山
Take a car to 乐山大佛 (170km?), visit ???? keep going by car to 峨嵋山 (160km?) Any miss out?

D15: 峨嵋山 - Chengdu
Visit 峨嵋山 (EMEI Mountain Wannian Temple and Baoguo temple)
PM: Return to Chengdu (170km) ??? Any miss out?

D16: Chengdu
Panda Breeding House, 草堂 杜甫, Wuhou Temple Any miss out???

D17: Chengdu - Lhasa
Take a flight to Lhasa via 3U8695 (08:00 - 09:50). Take a car to Lhasa via Yalu Zhang bu Jiang ?? any miss out?

D18: Lhasa
Sightseeing of Potala palace, Johkang tempal, Barkhor and Yaoyangsan. Any miss out??

D19: Lhasa departure
Home return

My questions are:
* Is itinerary workable or appropriate for backpack travelers like us?
* Any miss out? a good places to visit each point that were not written
* Any good hotel each point of stay

Apr 8, 2009 10:17
  • JABAROOTOO
Travel by car ? Do you mean by bus or do you wish to hire private transport for each of these trips.

It's a workable itinerary with lots of places you may not get to visit all of them in the time you have allowed bus as long as you are flexible you can cover 80%

Sorry but I've not heard of many of the smaller places that you have mentioned but that doesn't mean they are not worth visiting, just that they are not well advertised so all the better really

What to skip depends on what your interests are and where you come from. Places like Jade Snow mountain and cruise on Erhai are no big deal if you are from somewhere like Switzerland or Norway for instance. All the smaller villages,especially around LIjiang and southern Yunnan will be worth the time to visit.

You really haven't given yourselves much time in Lhasa but you may not be able to visit there anyway.
Apr 9, 2009 02:08
  • PONDO
Heard that foreigner cant go to Tibet/Lhasa this day? anyone know well about this issue?
tks
Jul 3, 2009 04:47
GUESTSUMMER Just wondering if anyone can recommend a reputable tour company that travels between Kunming/LiJiang and Dali. Thanks
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Bus trip from Kunming to Lijiang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code