Menu
Companionless travel
Oct 10, 2006 12:54
  • GRIZ326
I've always enjoyed wandering around a new country by myself. When someone travels with me, I usually end up catering to their interests rather than my own. I have never traveled with a group of friends, except as a way to get from point A to point B. ...and I definitely do not like the tour group method at all.

How about you?
Oct 10, 2006 21:49
  • CHYNAGYRL
When I was younger I liked to travel solo. But these days I get lonely traveling by myself and it can be dangerous for a single woman traveling alone. I find that traveling with a group has benefits that outweigh the negatives -- in restaurants you can try lots of foods and share the cost, watch each other's backs when hiking dangerous trails, and i find that another person can have perceptions and thoughts that completely enrich my experience of a destination. If I want to be alone, I just tell my friend honestly and then spend a day doing my own traveling. However, I prefer not to travel in China with non-Chinese speakers. They are very conspicuous and depend on me too much to lead them around places. Then traveling feels like a job...
Oct 11, 2006 00:34
  • CALIFORNIA
I'd like to travel alone or with a group less than 4 persons!
Oct 11, 2006 00:43
  • TEKNOMED
Travelling alone give you a lot of freedom. You do not need to worry about the person you are travelling with. But it can get very lonely. Like Chynagyrl said travelling with friends you can try out a lot of food, share cost etc. With a friend you can also share the experience of the moment. In the night when all the shops and entertainment outlets are closed you have someone to talk to. I would like to travel with a companion but not with a group esp. an organised tour group.
Oct 11, 2006 02:25
  • CALIFORNIA
"if you go some nature place further, all the things aroud you are mountain、tress、rocks,no one to talk with, how do you think about it ?"

I think God is great,that his creations are so amazing and beautiful!The world was wonderful!
Oct 11, 2006 02:51
  • CALIFORNIA
We are all a part of nature,so the nature is our home:-)
Oct 11, 2006 05:00
  • CONNY129
travel alone is not bad , if I can find someone to take pictures for me easily,I would definitely prefer travelling by my own .
Oct 11, 2006 21:01
  • ALICEGAO
I like travel alone, it's doesn't mean you have to be lonely, for the optimistic person, you'll consider it as a good chance to get to know more people and make new friends while visiting a totally new place, isn't that fun?
Want to try lots of local food without big stomach during one day? Why not share with new friends made there?
I was so crazy about hotpot while traveling to Sichuan alone, but how can I finish the food in the huge hot pot? Share! And that made my trip become more interesting, we were chatting while sharing food, and we are still keep in touch as good friends now.
It's your attitude that decides many things.
Oct 12, 2006 04:07
  • LEMONCACTUS
I love travelling alone. The freedom of it, the sense of adventure and the ability to do anything at a moment's notice.

Actually Matthew, I think I am very happy to be alone with nature. If I can appreciate by myself, love it, write about it, take it home in my heart and memory then it is enough for me. Often I find words can't express my feelings about a place and so I am happy to be there in silence.

A travelling companion must be well chosen and I think it is rare to find someone with whom you can travel with and not feel restrained... but I guess it's about independence.

My only problem with travelling alone is eating. It can be difficult and often I can't order the best dishes to eat alone. However, I often make friends when travelling and will eat with them.

Travelling alone is one of my favourite things and I have met some wonderful friends doing this, and it helps to improve my Chinese !

However we like to travel, it doesn't matter, we should just travel... this is the most important thing... to go out there and experience :)
Oct 12, 2006 04:53
  • CONNY129
Well said ,LEMONCACTUS !

Actually , if I go some nature place further, all the things aroud me are mountain、tress、rocks,no one to talk with ,I would feel much more peace and joy , to feel the nature by my heart and soul ...
Oct 16, 2006 20:23
  • RITA
I do not like traveling alone, though I had done so more often than not since i was a teenager. I like to share with others what i see and think, whether it is natural sceneries or cultural relics.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Companionless travel
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code