Menu
Cost of living in China
Aug 30, 2009 00:35
  • ELLYSE
Sorry, I've never lived in Hong Kong so I can't really answer your questions.
I don't think it's a major problem for a girl to live alone, assuming you don't pick some dodgy area.
Aug 31, 2009 05:59
I’m a teacher in Guilin with 2000yuan salary per month. I think my life is comfortable. I go out to eat in the local restaurant once a week, sometimes I go to have an excursion nearby. My transportation is bus and electrical bike. So I think 4000 yuan in Guilin is far enough to live comfortably. Anyone who wants to try, maybe I can rent my room to you for 500 yuan per month, with cooking equipments. When I’m free, I can take you to all the local places you want to. Also, there are many foreigners in my university, you can join them.
Aug 28, 2010 10:20
GUEST96209 I can tell you that you can NEVER live like a local in China, come what way. Every time you buy anything from anywhere, except supermarkets, you will ALWAYS be ripped off and will pay much higher prices. Even though, dual pricing has by now been outlawed officially, it is still alive and kicking unofficially, especially in the North and West. As a general rule, prices are at their highest in the South and East of the country and cheapest elsewhere. It is quite possible to survive on 4000RMB a month as most locals do survive on that, but you won't survive on it, if you stay in hotels.
Feb 16, 2011 11:16
GUEST15039 Hi i would like your opinion on something. I am a european citizen-student looking for a master scholarship. I cam across a scholarship of the Zhejiang University providing a full scholarship for 2-3 years ( tuition fees-insurance-accomodation-plus some extra for university materials, 1.700 chinese money per month, and 1.500 given at the beginning for help.... all included). I guess i am wondering if it is a good deal..And i would like to ask how much is the cost of living for a student there??
Feb 16, 2011 19:45
  • ROVER
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST15039 View Post

Hi i would like your opinion on something. I am a european citizen-student looking for a master scholarship. I cam across a scholarship of the Zhejiang University providing a full scholarship for 2-3 years ( tuition fees-insurance-accomodation-plus some extra for university materials, 1.700 chinese money per month, and 1.500 given at the beginning ...

First, I want to say that Zhejiang University is a good one.
Is the 1.700 given per month living expenses? If so, it is far more than enough, at least for me as a student.

But if you need to pay all of them, the tuition, the accommodation and food by the 20.000 Chinese per year, I think it is a little tight, but still close to enough.

Jun 1, 2011 18:16
GUEST21275 [quote=KSWONG ,33699]I just read somewhere that the average salary for a teacher in China is around CNY4,000-5,000. Is that correct?[/quote]

this is true for a teacher with no degree if you have a degree or experience you can be paid over 9000.
Page 4 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cost of living in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code