Menu
Cost of living in China
Jan 13, 2009 12:43
  • KSWONG
I first started this thread 2 years ago...and now I can confidently answer the same question. YES in most places. For Shenzhen a bit tough cos of its proximity to HK but still do-able if u live outside the central areas. In Guangzhou or Zhuhai, definitely YES.
Jan 15, 2009 18:40
  • APAULT
Easily. My budget is 1000rmb for 6 days. The biggest unexpected cost is reciprocating hospitality. When you make friends with Chinese they are likely to invite you out to eat. Clearly one should return the hospitality, but it clearly challenges the budget.
Jan 20, 2009 04:17
  • ELLYSE
4000 RMB for me would be fine, but the actual answer would depend on your spending habits.
Mar 19, 2009 13:55
GUEST48233 Hello, I am planing to learn mandarin for a year and my options are Shanghai and Beijing. I would like to know how much would be a normal budget for these two cities, including transportation, food, electricity, rent (with all the different possibilities- student dorms, studio or flat close to fundan university or in the centre of the city, and staying with a chinese family...)

Thank you so much and I would also like to know which are the advices of everyone concerning these two cities and life there...
Mar 21, 2009 01:26
  • ELLYSE
Please note, it's FUDAN not FUNDAN! If you're planning to study at a university wouldn't it make sense to at least know its name properly?
I'm staying at the dorms at Fudan and it's a bit steep, 1800 RMB for space in a twin, or 2700 RMB for a single. I have friends staying outside, sharing apartments with other foreign students and the cost could be around 1800-2200 RMB for a share, or around 2000-2500 RMB for a whole (but small) apartment. I also have a friend in a posher apartment for 5000 RMB. Rates are quoted per month.
Other than that, most people can get by on 1000-3000 RMB each month, depending on spending habits.
Jun 16, 2009 11:17
GUEST24755 I have been told that 4,500 a month - if accommodation is included makes you well off unless u r in the commercial areas-so I dont know what you guys are talking about....
Jun 22, 2009 00:10
  • ELLYSE
What city?
Aug 26, 2009 03:43
GUEST37967 Hi
My sister is planning on going to China next year to do an english teaching internship. She will get a living allowance of approx 2000RMB a month and won't have to pay for accommodation or bills. Is this sufficient to live comfortably? She doesn't know where in China she will be placed but if someone could give me an idea for large city and smaller towns that would be great. Also, due to the type of visa she will have she won't be able to earn extra money by giving private lessons. Thanks
Aug 26, 2009 22:14
  • ELLYSE
I used to be on that budget and it was ok if you live in a thrifty manner, eat Chinese food and don't do much nightlife.
Aug 29, 2009 13:24
  • MISSVIVI
Hi Ellyse!

I was looking through "Living Cost In China" and I saw your posting and the great advice you had so I wanted to ask you a few question about Hong Kong if thats okay with you...

I'm an Asian American girl from California, USA, and I always wanted to move to Hong Kong but never knew what I needed to know before moving there.

I wanted to ask you what is the best area for me to live in hong kong? Fun but still safe place. I make around $1500 USD, how much should I expect to pay for a decent apartment in the city. I saw a pretty apartment for $450 USD, is that expensive or cheap for an apartment?
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cost of living in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code