Menu
CHINA DRIVERS LICENSE
Oct 23, 2006 23:41
  • IAMCANADIAN
hello does any one know how i can get my drivers license in china? i am from canada and i have my canadian drivers license. what do i need to get my chinese drivers
Oct 24, 2006 00:29
You cannot drive with an International Driver's Permit in mainland China; China has not signed the convention which created IDPs. You need a Chinese license to drive in China.

PRC laws say that foreign residents can have driver's licences and that an IDP can be converted to a local licence, possibly with an additional examination. Actually getting a license may be complicated. The particular complications seem to vary from place to place and over time. Some people have been asked to take a written test in Chinese. Others get a bilingual test form, or are allowed to bring a translator. Sometimes you can be excused the actual driving test if you have a foreign license, sometimes not. Some foreigners report that Chinese friends suggested a small gift to the local officials and it helped greatly; others have been told by their Chinese friends that such a move would be foolish and dangerous.

Note, however, that at least in some cities electric scooters are legally treated as bicycles. You do need to register the vehicle, but only with a bicycle license which is cheaper and easier than a motorcycle license. You do not need a driver's license to ride it. There may be restrictions in where you can ride it, e.g. not in the main traffic lanes
Oct 24, 2006 01:40
  • IAMCANADIAN
thanks any one else know anything?
Oct 24, 2006 02:08
  • TJYKAREN
will you stay in GZ for a long time so you want driver license?actually I think is diffcult for foreigner get a driver license in China.but our manager he comes from Arab Syria.He get a driver license in China GZ.But he need learn many thing,China traffic,Law.....then he need pass the exam.test....many many thing.but finally he get the driver license.

So good luck
Oct 24, 2006 08:54
  • JABAROOTOO
I/ve just beentold by friends that I can now get my license this way

My National license
one passport photo
Y60
I may have to show my face but hopefully not.
No test is required if my naional license is current.

I'll let you allknow next week after I get it.

Bottom line is it may be different in the different provinces and even cities but it is notthat difficult. Many foreigners have them.

Cheers
Oct 24, 2006 12:13
  • IAMCANADIAN
i dont not need to learn anything i know a driving instructor who will do everthing for me i couldive gotten it before but i didnt have anything saying i own a house in china but i have all tha now but i havent called the other guy back my friend from another city said they have fake ones?
Oct 24, 2006 12:20
  • IAMCANADIAN
thanks jarrototo let me know
Oct 24, 2006 14:26
  • GRIZ326
You have great courage to think you could drive in China. NASCAR race drivers are put to shame by the taxi drivers in China!

:-)

Seriously, from what I saw in Beijing and Shenyang, even riding a bicycle is perilious.
Oct 24, 2006 14:57
  • IAMCANADIAN
i lived in china before i have drove there many times i dont live in guangzhuo i wont be driving anywhere around there im living in a smaller area where there isnt to many cars i am use to the roads and how they drive i drive my 600cc honda cbr no problem
Oct 24, 2006 16:44
  • GRIZ326
Then you have experience and nerves of steel!

Dec 4, 2006 00:44
  • BETWEENUS21
seriously no foreigner can get a driver's licence in China - unless provided that he is being employed or working in China and have a valid working visa - period. No other way around it.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: CHINA DRIVERS LICENSE
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code