Menu
Miao's New Year coming up 9th Nov next month
Oct 25, 2006 10:32
  • LOUISA
The 2006 Miao's new year is coming up next month Nov. this is a major festival for the Miao people who live in kaili guizhou. The Miao, known as Hmong in the West, is one of the minority groups of China.
At festival time the miao women wear their stunning sliver jewellery often piling on five or six neck rings at a time as well as chains loins, chest locks and multiple headresses ,silver was originally obtained from melting old coins and girls wear huge horned silver headdresses and crowns with delicate birds and flowers and coins. When they move and dance all there jewellery and headresses makes different sounds. festival it's time for the people to get together, provide the opportunity to travel around,socialize,meet friends and kinsfolk and be entertained by singing and the dance. a market is frequently set up during the festival time that allows people to buy much needed goods!
kaili Guizhou( south china) where rich of minority culture,there are number of tradition villages located hillside. the wooden house surraround by mountains,rivers,trees and flowers. the typical architecture is nstilted house with balustrated bench, the villagers worship buffalo,fish,stone and bridge.
The wooden water wheels raise water from the river to the fields.the bull working in the field,villagers grow rise and vegetables,feed pigs, chicks,woman catch fish in the fields. speak to the festival kaili has 158 festivals around a year.
the villagers fond of dancing and singing. if your timing is right you might be lucky to catch one.that would be great if you can experinence life here in the villages with wooden houses cluster on the edge of the hill side.
i am a miao minority living in kaili i have been teaching myself english for a years and i now begun to learn french myself. i want to help my miao nation and trying to set up a "miao woman community center".i am so prond to be miao for such a wonderful culture. if you are interesting in spend some time in rural area homestay not just see "real china" feel strong culture but also willing to offer some time teaching english.
if you are indpendent traveller, here is nice place to travel,the expense is cheap here and less tourist but many intersts events wait to be discovered. let your eyes lead you to a beautiful place where you are going to have great travel experience.i would love to meet you up and arrange you homestay in the traditional village,i am free of charge but in retuen you will offer me english or french lessones.
drop me here gmail.com|wuminlouisa
Oct 25, 2006 16:07
  • YKPHIL
This is very interesting to know. My next trip is a whirlwind, only 2 weeks to visit mostly old friends, but I plan to spend more time in China in the summer of 2007 and will take your advice.

By the way, if you want to learn some French, I speak that language fluently and would be happy to help you learn and practice. However, being lazy by nature and design, my mandarin is going too slow for my taste and I am nowhere near being ready to practice anything. Send me a private message on this forum and I will reply back.

Philippe
Post a Reply to: Miao's New Year coming up 9th Nov next month
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code