Menu
Plan for tonight's...
Oct 30, 2006 19:53
  • ALICEGAO
Hi, guys, today is Halloween! Have you got enough scary stories for tonight? And did you cook any festival deserts?
Any funny and weird plans or suggestions are welcome!

Oct 30, 2006 19:55
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,exciting......
Oct 30, 2006 21:36
  • IAMCANADIAN
haha is that an orange?
Oct 31, 2006 02:49
  • APAULT
Halloween? I was brought up in the UK..perhaps somneone with a US upbringing could tell us just what Halloween is all about. My students asked me last year,and I couldn't tell them much. All I know is that it is about ghosts, pumpkin masks, and children terrorising their neighbours.
Oct 31, 2006 02:57
  • LOVEISVERB
I am interested in the origin of Halloween too.
Oct 31, 2006 04:58
  • YEMMIE
Hi Guys,

I'm not an expert, but I looked up Halloween in a reference book I have. It is a festival held on the eve of All Saints Day or Hallomas. Originally, it was a Celtic festival, ringing in the New Year, welcoming spirits of the dead, and placating supernatural forces. The Scots and Irish brought it to the U.S. Today it is a children's festival. Trick or Treat means I will do some kind of trick against you unless you give me a treat. Naturally, we don't want people to do bad things to us, so we hand out candy to prevent it. Nevertheless, lawns are rolled with toilet paper, windows are egged or soaped, etc., on Halloween.
Oct 31, 2006 18:47
  • PINETREE
Origin of Halloween - here you are :-
It started from the Celts who lived in Europe more than 2000 yrs ago. On every Nov 1, they celebrated the end of summer. They thought ghosts visited the living on Oct 31 & they dressed up like ghosts so that the spirits would not harm them.
Today, many Western countries remember the dead on Nov 1 - All Saints Day. Another name for it is All Hallow's Day & 31st Oct is called All Hallow's Eve or Halloween !!
It is an old tradition in Ireland & Scotland ( not England). People there used to dress up & carried lanterns made of turnips. When these people migrated to the USA/Canada, they started using pumpkins instead.
They also had a tradition of giving food to the spirits which later turned into giving food to the poor.
Hope u are happy with this.
Oct 31, 2006 21:16
  • CALIFORNIA
I only has PIZZA with my friends last night!
Oct 31, 2006 22:14
  • CONNY129
I strolled on crossroad near my home last night,but nothing sepcailly happened :(
Nov 1, 2006 00:39
  • SOMEGUY
My school had a halloween party on Sunday. Last night I did nothing special.

If you want to know about halloween searching the internet is your friend. Try wikipedia.org
Nov 1, 2006 01:18
  • ALICEGAO
Hi, thank you guys for these nice comments!
First, I want to assure you guys that it is a pumpkin in the picture, haha... it's just a baby pumpkin.
The cultures in different countries are quite different. But they also seems have some connections with each other. I think it's just similar to Chinese spring festival, they called “guo nian”, the “nian” is an evil monster, people celebrate the festival to scare the monster away to make sure a good and healthy new year.
Yes, the internet can provide us with almost everything, but personally, I'm more interested in the ideas thought out by your guys. That's why I put this thread on our forum.
I took lots of scary, ugly and weird pictures with my roommate ysterday to celebrate it. My student took my Jack o'latern and candies away.haha...

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Plan for tonight's...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code