Menu
food
Nov 2, 2006 22:02
  • GANGYABENBEN
Hi--
I want to become a gastrology.hehe,just a joke!so I'll collect distinctive food in xian,witch can't be find easy,although it's palatable,I don't know where it is,I want to degustation it too.hehe..
Nov 3, 2006 00:01
  • RITA
Here are some Xian(Shaanxi) food that I don't think can be found anywhere else in China. They may not taste so delicious, esp for those who try them for the first time, but they are UNIQUE!!

1, see the following pic. The main ingredient is potato, and ... anyway, you are not to learn to cook it, just to try it. it tastes good, mostly because i love any food made from potatoes.

The food has an interesting name, Yan Yu Cha Cha!

Nov 3, 2006 00:07
  • RITA
2, See the following pic, it is a kind of Tofu, but you can find green vegetables in it. It also tastes good with sauce, you can eat as much as you like even if you are on a diet. This food might start from south part of Shaanxi Province.

Official name:) Cai Dou Fu(菜豆腐)

Nov 3, 2006 00:14
  • CALIFORNIA
Chacha???Interesting!

But Rita,I don't like that one!

What about Biangbiang Mian???Haha!
Nov 3, 2006 00:17
  • RITA
The last (and perhaps the least delicious) one, look at the following pic. The look is just like its taste: not good, but there are many locals like it, I can understand. If you come to visit Xian, you should try it.

To me, it's a little tasteless, my taste bud told me if you mix the celery leaves, wheat flour and water and steam the mixture, that's the food. You can have it with some misture of vinegar, hot pepper or garlic(not sure). This is the simplest if not the cheapest food. Enjoy!

Before I forget, it is called: Mai Fan(麦饭?).

Nov 12, 2006 01:12
  • XIEJIANFA
Nice of Rita to share the knowledge and introduce the types of food with our friend and in fact, everyone in the forum. Mighty nice of you. I like the name with the ending cha cha....Ha ha
Nov 13, 2006 21:18
  • MMCAT
yang yu cha cha is actually not from Xi'an it is something from northern Shaanxi. the dialect is different too. :) I like it, but, i don't think i could eat that everyday as the northern shaanxi ppl do.
Nov 13, 2006 21:27
  • MMCAT
cai dou fu? never heard of it, shame on me, i grew up in xi'an... :(
Nov 13, 2006 22:57
  • RITA
Cai Dou Fu was not originated from Xian, either. I think it was from Hanzhong- a city in the south part of the province. But it is very popular in Xian now.
Nov 14, 2006 19:32
  • GANGYABENBEN
I tried my hand at CaiDouFu,it is made by
soybean and JangShui(浆水),
but I don't like that taste,I only can eat a small quantity of it.:)
Nov 14, 2006 19:39
  • CHYNAGYRL
I went to a Muslim restaurant in Xi'an and had the mutton stew + pulled bread noodles. I think it's a Xi'an food. They give you the flatbread, and you spend ten minutes shredding it into as small pieces as possible. Then they cover it with lamb stew. It's a little heavy, but interesting. Usually people have it with cold side dishes too...
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: food
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code