Menu
Why DO expats work in China
Nov 7, 2006 06:41
  • APAULT
Pinetree has thrown up the challenge on this subject again... and I think there weren't so many replies last time so let's try again.

I came because I have many Chinese friends in Australia and on the internet who told me so much aboust China and I wanted to see China for myself. When the opportunity came (free to take up the option) I took it. I have temporarily returned to Australia for family reasons but will be back next year as I miss my Chinese friends.

As teacher I met hundreds of marvellous young people. They are more straight forward and more honest and happy in a simpler lifestyle than we find in the west. I spent a lot of my free time helping them with studies and discussing life in general, and in my experience so do MOST foreign teachers in schools and colleges. Most enjoy teaching and like helping young people and are richly rewarded but seeing the effort the students put into it, and by the sincere way they want to help us. Most certainly did not go there for the money.

There are some foreigners in China on western salary plus living away from home allowances, it is simply a stage in their career...though most that I have met say it is an an interesting stage. This is globalisation and part of China's strategy to develop.

And yes, as a recent thread has discussed, some males come for the girls, but in my experience that is a small minority. (And for those of who didn't come for this reason find there are quite a few girls chasing us - that's life.)

But I shouldn't speak for others, come on expats, add your comments.
Nov 9, 2006 21:06
  • KSWONG
I think that there is this syndrome which I shall call a "colonial
hangover". Caucasians aren't noticed much in their home
countries. But when they travel, live or work in some Asian cities
eg Singapore, China, etc, they are perceived as "special". A
superior breed or a richer lot. Most Caucasians know it and
enjoy the special attention. I have some Caucasian friends who
enjoy the "attention" so much that they re-located and make the
new Asian cities their adopted homes. Most of them single
bachelors.
Nov 9, 2006 21:29
  • CHYNAGYRL
and all the pretty, feminine girls... seems to work out better for Western guys in Asia overall. They're generally more happy in Asia than Western women.
Nov 10, 2006 00:13
  • PINETREE
Finally there are some comments. Good that they are from Asian locals.
I suppose most expats are not interested in this. "None of your business", so I overhead them mumbling to themselves !
Nonethelss to add some colours to this Forum, I shall do my usual controversial comments on this topic.

There are a few types of expats here and in other countries as well. They are here for various reasons - but mainly for the opportunities to earn more money in an overseas posting and to gain some international exposure. Not that expats are not welcome or bad for the countries (admittedly they provide some expertise - I myself was an expat of a MNC handling business in China in the 1990s) - it is none of my business as well. Haha !!

But the subject of interest here is "why ?".

Whatever the reasons people openly give for coming to China, the pertinent questions to be asked are :-
1. Why China ?
2. Why at this stage of your lives ?
3. Are u really in China for the love of its culture, history, etc, etc ?

Accepted that except for the MNCs' expats (who I know are being paid sky-high remuneration packages), language teachers may not be that well-paid as compared to their countries'. So why come ? Is there no better life in your own countries at this age or this stage of your lives ? Are u really that qualified that no other -coloured candidate is better ? Or is it because of your particular colour & the ignorance of the Chinese policy-makers ? (My 2 brothers are teaching English language to the Canadians/USAmericans in their countries!).
If the expats come because of China's culture, etc - then what have they learnt from their stint here ? Are they making any intentional efforts to pick up something from this great country ?
From what I observe, not many really have - by the fact that these people are here only for a short stint of a few years and their ideas as expressed here.
How do u account for someone who has been here for only a short stint to advise another to go ahead and advertise for free bodies on a Forum that I like to believe is proper/decent one ? Do they know that this is against the culture here & is humiliating to the locals ? Probably not or not bothering to know. Or are they really practising the "Philosopher is to interpret the world, the point is to change it" ? - no, this is not personal, just as an example. And change for whose advantage ?
Not that I am probing and objecting to expats here. I just want to know the truth because I observe that the quality of quite a no. of the expats is just simply not there.

(To Continue)
Nov 10, 2006 00:14
  • PINETREE
(Continue)

Separately, just in case members do not know some facts about the gals here (esp gal members) : most of them are graduates, some topping their universities or even provinces. They are highly intelligent and smart ( I know some with IQ over 120 ! ). Some are here to just practise their English skill - they are not here for a chance to offer their bodies + giving Mandarin lessons to westerners, free or not.
The common problem with Chinese as I observe is that we are brought up to be rather aloof - if we are not happy, we do not express it openly - it is impolite to do so. But do not mistake this as a weakness to be taken advantage of.

The lithmus test to the advertisements for free bodies + the remark that Western men are preferred by Chinese gals is "Have any Chinese gals responded to those advertisements ?". If so, who/what are they ? Member Apault is lucky to have Chinese women harassing him - but for what ? Or are they just friendly ? And who are these women ? Obviously this member is quite attractive still- congrats to him !

Of cos there are the not so ordinary people everywhere. Blessed your lucky star that you are wanted - but not because you are white. Neither is it because the westerners don't visit brothels - they just can't afford to or are stingy & in a country where sex is cheaply available for the price of a cup of coffee or a glass of beer at the pub. Is this the reason why Chinese men don't prefer Western women ? (Sorry if this hurts any members, but this has to be expressed in response to a similar statement by a fellow member).
It is not the same here and in most Asian countries. We generally don't go around advertising for free bodies. If we do, it is to be done at an appropriate website - maybe a low-grade or blue chatroom.

Hahaha !! Any comments pl ?
Nov 12, 2006 03:04
  • LEMONCACTUS
As a white FEMALE expat (and I can't quite decide if that makes me a goodie or a baddie in this well-trodden argument)...

Still... I have a "colourful" comment:

Let's talk about (we all assume) white expat men advertising for 'bodies' or, actually, language companions on TCG !

but...

Let's compare this with the number of "BEAUTIFUL, YOUNG, CHINESE ENGLISH-SPEAKING FEMALE" tour guides who advertise their 'services'... [or should I say 'bodies' ?] on TCG...

This seems to refute two 'myths' that:

1. It is against the culture of China
2. It is white male expats who are taking advantage of pure innocent Chinese girls

It is dangerous to assume that China and the Chinese (female or otherwise) are always the victims.
Nov 12, 2006 22:14
  • PINETREE
Hi, LC - nice to hear from you !

I am not sure that those "Pretty Gals" adverts that u are referring to are advertising to offer sex service or is it your assumption ? But even if they are, they are in business. I suppose that these western men are here in business too, to supplement their income ? If not, therein lies the huge difference in culture that is the bone of contention here & which apparently is too subtle to even near understood by some.
Myth ? On the one hand are preofessional gals, the others are wolves in sheep's clothes. What myth is there ? The myth is that these white men "are advertising for language companions" !! Come on, we know better than that.
Those reading here have higher IQs. Hahaha !!
Nov 13, 2006 00:18
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hey Pinetree. Yes, my point here is entirely about assumptions.

I'm assuning a "beautiful" guide is looking for a Western male. The same as you're assuming that a guy who wants a "female language companion" is looking for a Chinese girlfriend. Either of us may or may not be correct.

I just see a huge double-standard here in denouncing one and not the other...

Apault, I'm sorry if I've hijacked the original intention of this thread but I'm against the idea that expats of any creed who are legitimately working in another country should be required to defend themselves.
Nov 13, 2006 00:29
  • KINJIM
A westerner who has been in Shanghai working for 12 years is single but has girlfriend(s).
The common phenomenon is that the Chinese women like white skin, nose,the westerners are more handsome, tall, romantic, kinder. They have this sexual desire to bang white men.
This is all in good, but Shanghai is likely to become AIDS capital of China.
These expats who come here are treated specially, like Kings. The Chinese are to blame as well for worshipping these expats, guess what, these expats like the attention, they get to shag day day out, go to all the expensive places and hence, meet all those willing women.
Heard about the Ennglish teacher who shagged 70 women in SHanghai ?
Nov 13, 2006 00:51
  • PINETREE
Hahaha !! Thanks for your comments, LC.
I rest my case.
Nov 13, 2006 04:33
  • PINETREE
Can't agree more with you, KimJim.
The Chinese gals have to share the blame for such a situation - either they are too naive/gullible or they are not innocent - even tho some of them were his colleagues/students.
Hope all can learn something from this. This is THE myth.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why DO expats work in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code