Menu
Why DO expats work in China
Nov 13, 2006 21:55
  • HITURA
I think this problem is not just with white skinned foreigners to China. Many asians in western countries also go back to asia and do the same thing. Many of them have much less respect for asian women than the white men. I think this is a social class problem the entire world faces.
Nov 14, 2006 09:24
  • CHYNAGYRL
This thread is giving me a headache now. People are taking it too seriously.

I don't really think Western guys and most CHinese girls are on the same level. The Western guys are at an advantage, because of their foreign and status. They can travel, live in other countries, have much more options than the typical Chinese girl. Only the brightest girls, or those from well-off families can go abroad and meet foreigners in a Western country. The rest have to choose from foreigners who go to China -- and most of those are on temporary work or study, so they have no committment.

The nice guys in China may fall in love with a girl and treat her well, even marry her one day. Some who were playboys in their youth change as they get older, and decide they would like to settle down with a Chinese girl. *People can change any time, do not underestimate this! * Don't judge that someone will stay the same forever!

My wish? I would LOVE to see one day all the players meet their match! ie someone intelligent enough to play them back. I really hope the genuinely nice people meet their matches too.

Nov 14, 2006 18:59
  • PINETREE
Put it this way, the Chinese people are currently under-exposed to the realistic world outside their country. At the same time, they are still generally traditional - ie they wanna fall in love, get married & raise a family.
When a man is interested in them, they naturally follow this path - not knowing that westerners are not necessarily looking for this - generally they just wanna spot fun or short term fun - free. So why visit brotheles ? There is no need to.
These foreigners know this and take advantage of the situation - knowing that after a few years, they will leave probbaly never to return.
Why Chinese gals fall for such traps, sometime knowingly ? Because they THINK these westerners are serious and good. Problem is they may not be "good" in the Chinese traditional sense - because of culture differences. And some of these expats who come here, even to teach, are really bums. Whilst the Chinese people generally regard teachers highly, the situation outside is quite different. Teaching is just a survival tool to these foreigners - now why come to China when they have to "sacrifice" so much, only they can fathom.
Nov 15, 2006 02:04
  • SOMEGUY
First of all why should everyone come to China to learn about the culture and history? Whats wrong with comming just to travel or see something new?
Whats wrong with just comming for the money? It seems to me like Chinese people think money is just about the most important thing in the world.

And on the thing of hiring foreign teachers over Chinese teachers, I was the first foreign teacher at my school and all the teacher here have been teaching for about 3-5 years. They all mis-pronounce a lot of words, most of them have quite a few grammatical errors, they use words and phrases in the wrong ways etc. They're all really good teachers but without a foreigner around to help with these things how will they fix them? How will the students learn to understand different foreign accents?

I came to China because I wanted a change, I wanted to try something new and I thought 'why not China?' I've made some great friends, learnt a lot about the country, the people and the culutre and in the end I won't have made any money.

I think Chinese girls choose foreign guys because they think they are handsome, exotic, rich, often treat them better than Chinese guys and are a good chance to practice their English.

I'm sure that if Chinese people had the chance they would do exactly like the foreign devils and us westerners would be complaing about Chinese people taking their culture, beliefs and values to our countries and stealing our women. Maybe in 50 years that will be true...
Nov 15, 2006 02:45
  • PINETREE
Your comments are very cute, Someguy.
Nov 15, 2006 05:25
  • PINETREE

Participation has been quite active. Congrats Apault ! We haven't had one for a long time.
Let me try to summarise the position on this :-

1. In the very first place, there was no challenge thrown up by me.
- I raised it in another related thread on why expats wanna come to China and was prepared to have a separate ddiscussion. Challenge is a strong word.
2. Why the expats come is not my business. Am I against foreign talents ?
- of cos not. But I am just curious - curious to know the quality of these people.
3. Do the expats teachers have to defend their being here ?
- as a matter of fact, yes. All foreign recruits have to defend this. Don't tell me your people allow any Tom, Dick & Harry to go there and compete with your locals for jobs ? Your Workers Unions will come after the employers. But of cos, u don't have to defend it against me !!
4. Why am I curious ?
- because of the rather regular advertisements for female companions by these expats. And surprisingly ALL the western members who commented here expressed support for such advertisements - nothing wrong, they said.
5. Why do they feel that nothing is wrong, when the Asians feel it is ?
- is it because of the character quality of these expats or more honourably "cultural differences" ?
6. When you are in Rome, why are you not doing what the Romans do ?
7. Do u really allow such things to happen in your own countries ?
- if u do, then the Asians would not have been that badly treated there since time in memorial.
8. Are Western men handsome, exotic, etc, etc?
- beauty is a concept & a state of mind. My mother thought they looked like animals - hairy with sunken eyes, huge nose and they smell. I reserve my comments as I have some western friends & a couple of relatives !!
9. Am really surprised at the quality of the arguments here ?
- definitely.

Hahaha !!

Nov 15, 2006 06:15
  • DAMOCLES
I cannot believe some of the things coming out of pinetree's mouth!!!

"3. Do the expats teachers have to defend their being here ?
- as a matter of fact, yes. All foreign recruits have to defend this. Don't tell me your people allow any Tom, Dick & Harry to go there and compete with your locals for jobs ? Your Workers Unions will come after the employers. But of cos, u don't have to defend it against me !!"

-Actually in ANY western country you would never have to defend your personal life, your qualifications yes, but how many girls youve screwed of whatever race, NEVER.

"My mother thought they looked like animals - hairy with sunken eyes, huge nose and they smell."

-what is the relevence of that??? My grandfather was a POW at the hands of the chinese for a year during the korean war and i wouldnt even think to bring up his opinions. basicaly what youre saying is your mother is racist.

the bottom line is ive been here for nine months with my girlfriend, i cant even go into a bar or nightclub without getting hit on by virtually EVERY girl in the place, to the obvious shagrin of my gf. so why is this being held against me???

add this to your discussion, in december of last year, i watched as 3 teachers from france got stabbed and beaten to within an inch of their lives by a mob of about 30 chinese men because one of the teachers was talking to a chinese girl outside of a club.

2 weeks later, a friend of mine got tazered (i didnt even know people carried those here) because he gave the finger to a chinese man who was apparently practicing his english (problem was he only knew the "f" word and a few others with four letters)

but hey pintree, if you wanna chalk these up to those "cultural differences" you were talking about be my guest!!
Nov 15, 2006 06:27
  • PINETREE
Damocles,
Obviously you don't know what we are talking about. Re-llok at your comments - they are out of place and out of logics. We are talking about the Forum here - not a bar.
What is trhe relevance of beauty - yes, I was wondering to when someone said that Westerners are pretty. Are they ?
I couldn't believe u use those words too. At least I am not vulgar.
Nov 15, 2006 06:28
  • PINETREE
Poor quality argument Damocles. Sorry.
Nov 15, 2006 07:12
  • DAMOCLES
sorry my friend my argument is completely relevant.

some people on this forum are trying to portray foreigners as aggressors and the locals as the victims. where the evil foreign man came and corrupted the innocent chinese girl. i saw your post where you stated that chinese girls were just as much to blame for that situation. the point i was trying to get across was that there are plenty of western men who come to china with motivations other than chinese women, and we should not all be lumped together.

i have a problem with two of your arguments wich i laid out in my previous post.

the comments you posted that your mother said were racist, regardless of you reserving your own opinions or the fact that she said it in the privacy of your house, the fact that you are repeating it on this forum is offensive. if i said those things about chinese people im sure you would be up in arms.

and no, nobody should have to justify their personal life to anybody!! unions in the west dont really care who youre screwing or if that is the real reason you came to this country, as long as you pay your union dues.

as to my comments regarding the beatings at the bars, just trying to point out that westerners who come here have to deal with their own fair share of resentment at the hands of the locals for no apparent reason and that foreigners are not allways the "bad" guys.

"1. Why China ?
2. Why at this stage of your lives ?
3. Are u really in China for the love of its culture, history, etc, etc ?"

maybe some people just want to come here to have fun! is that wrong? should there be a questionaire upon arrival to determine your "real" reasons for coming to china and to ensure that it is only for the love of the culture, history, etc etc?
Page 2 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why DO expats work in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code