Menu
Traveling with small children
Nov 8, 2006 09:44
  • WATERBURYDVM
My family has the opportunity to live in Guangzhou for a year for my husband's business. We are Americans and have two small children. One will be 3 years old and the other 6 months old when we start our year long visit. I'm concerned about having such small children in China. Mainly I am concerned about food safety, access to good health care (the baby will need routine vaccinations etc.) and safety on the road (driving, walking etc.). Has anyone else done something similar? It would be a great opportunity for my husband and his work, but I don't want to unnecessarily endanger my children either. Thanks!
Nov 8, 2006 20:35
  • TJYKAREN
welcome to our city GuangZhou!Actually you no need too worry about that thing.GuangZhou is international city.now already have many many foreigners come to bussiness and working.And they also take their family move to GZ.But some people said GZ is not safe,have many "pocketpicker"but I thing these thing all the citys will have .I don't think so other foreign country city don't have people steal other people.
And if you take your small children walking on the street or road,I think is save.but if you don't abide by traffic rule, of course that will not save.
About the children medical care.in GuangZhou some big hospital can handle and service foreigner.But I wondering which area in GuangZhou?Anyway,if you still have any question about GZ,I would like to answer you.I am local GuangZhou girl,I know GZ very well.hope can see you and your family in GZ very soon.

Karen
Nov 9, 2006 18:27
  • JAMESWANG
My dear Madam,

You don't have to be worried about the food, the vaccination or the traffic safety if you follow my suggestions: buy your food in supermarkets only (food hazard exists mostly among the disadvantaged population); find a disease prevention institute (Chinese kids also need routine vaccination); and follow traffic rules more strictly than in other countries (stay away from crazy drivers).
Hope you stay well in Guangzhou.
Jameswang
Nov 9, 2006 19:48
  • YUHAOROMAN
hi,welcome aboard.

re: security
it would be fair to say that china is one of the most safest country in the world after I visit a few country recently, it is safer than states, as we don't have terrorist attack now and then, and don't make enemies everywhere.

re:food and health care
as advised, do buy food only in supermarkets like Wal-mart, Carrefour,etc. you can go to the state-run hospital for vaccacination if you like, and I think there are several foreign private hospital out there in Guangzhou, luxuary though.

have a nice stay here.
Nov 11, 2006 10:53
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there,
There are loads of Ex-pats living in Guangzhou and you should be able to make contact with some of them before you arrive. Most large cities have expat communities and several of them have womens groups where I'm sure you can get the information necessary to alieviate your concerns.

Just google Expats and Guangzhou and see what you turn up.

Living in China's larger cities like Guangzhou is not that different from living anywhere else. In fact many expats can live a very insular and secluded life in China, seldom rubbing shoulders with everyday people.

It's our choice, but relax and enjoy the opportunity of a lifetime to experience China in this exciting period of growth and all the challenges that that is bringing.

Welcome to China
Post a Reply to: Traveling with small children
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code