Menu
How Important Is China - to Chinese ?
Nov 12, 2006 22:30
  • PINETREE
As we know, Chinese are spread out all over the world. U name the place & we are most likely to be there. The majority of Chinese migration started in the late 19th & early 20th centuries. Unfortunately, in most western countries & Americas these Chinese immigrants have not been properly-treated ( & talking about human rights !). I could notice this as late as several years ago - esp at the Immigration, Customs & most public places. It didn't feel good at all.

Things have noticeably changed for the better - so I observed again. During a just concluded visit to CA/USA, the treatment was conspicuously different by these same groups of people. My siblings who live in these 2 countries also told me pleasingly that the situation is improving. I overhead some westerners discussing about the rising importance of China and Mandarin, too. How nice for a change !! But why ?

The reason - respect has to be earned & fought for & the Chinese Govt is doing a wonderful job - not just for China. The west and Americas don't care where the Chinese are from - as long as you are Chinese or have Chinese like features.
But the Chinese Govt cannot be expected to do everything.

Any views ?
Nov 15, 2006 22:31
  • PINETREE
I have been a member here for 1 full year and have particpated actively in quite a few controversial discussions. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
The issues I love to discuss are about China & her Chinese people. However, I also note with a great tinge of sadness & disappointment that no local Chinese participated at any of these more serious discussions - not even to disagree with what I said and fought for. The few other participants happened to be non-China Chinese/Asians. The locals seem contented with minor issues.
Is there something seriously wrong with the Chinese ? Is it their perceived weakness in the English language ? Or are they just simply not interested at all - as long as they are not personally affected directly ?
You won't see these happening (or non-happening) in other countries.
Nov 16, 2006 01:02
  • CHALNE
Hello! I am a new comer to this interesting community. I am Chalne.

As what you said above, I would voice that there is a clear trend that China is gonna be the next prominent country in the world. We see that the giant boat USA is now staggering not only economy but politics, level off. People observe the climate and change their attitude. That is what called wiseman.

I have no objection to deny that we are getting clod to each other because people just care about themselves today. But as a Chinese, I will love my country and take proud in being a Chinese citizen.
Nov 16, 2006 20:06
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Pinetree,

In fact,I don't want to discuss some threads with western or oversea chinses.Usually we have disputes in some problems or phenomenons,that doesn't mean who is right and who is wrong.

China is a great country,whenever!I have never been worried about my poor english,tt's not important for me,I sure,after 20 years,most persons need learn chinese.

For China,what's important???I think China needs get stronger and stronger.
Nov 16, 2006 21:56
  • KSWONG
Hello pinetree
U have brought up a very interesting topic. I am an overseas
Chinese and I have never visited mainland China... not yet but
planning some trips next year. The few mainland Chinese I have
met in my home country did not give me a good impression
overall so I plan to visit to China to find out firsthand if ALL
mainlanders are the same. I sincerely hope that my impressions
will change after my trip. :)
Nov 19, 2006 16:27
  • PINETREE
Hahaha, KS !
If some visits alone will enable you to understand, I wouldn't have written this after so much thought & probably the controversial topics not so hotly discussed. I still don't understand the situation since my first visit in 1988 and many regular visits thereafter.
Anyway, enjoy your visits - probably you will enjoy this country.
Nov 19, 2006 20:30
  • MAY001
For me, China is larger than life. And let me say sth about Chinese people. I do believe, many Chinese people, including me myself, are somewhat me-centered.

For example, I passed by many beggars but seldom gave them money. Cos I believe a lot of them are professional ones and just cheated for my money and sympathize. While cycling to my home after work, I also violate traffic rules sometimes. Because, sometimes, if you don't violate the traffic rules, you may never pass the cross! Everybody seems are hurried. Less people want to wait for the green light. And even the green light light, you feel no safe.

What happened to all of our Chinese? We are non-educated? Yes, elder generations are less educated. This is the truth. And there are also a lot of peasant coming to the cities. They are also less educated. Can education solve all the problems? No. We are also accustomed to some "bad behaviors".

To cultivate a noble man need at least three generations. What we can do is to educate and change old customs, and wait for a qualitative change.

Forgive me Pinetree, I turned the thread to another topic. Sorry!
Nov 19, 2006 22:12
  • TEKNOMED
I think you should not blame the local Chinese for not participating in any of these serious discussion of yours. Most of them have not left China and experienced the trails and tribulations of oversea Chinese. With China achivements in economy and power, the West which have always looked down on China and Chinese are having a second look thus you see a sudden change in their treatment of the oversea Chinese. I think the Chinese Govenment have done a tremendous lot for the pride of the Chinese people everywhere but we Chinese whether local or oversea need to upgrade ourselves as well and also have some finese. If you see some of our digusting habits, whatever pride or respect gained will evaporate immediately.
Nov 19, 2006 22:37
  • PINETREE
I am so glad someone said something, May. Thanks.

Teknomed, thanks for your comments too. But I do notice the locals joined in some discussions about Japan.
There are more to it, I think.
Nov 20, 2006 00:06
  • RITA
I am so glad you asked:D.

People say that complaining is the motivity of progress, at least one of the factors.

People complain, most of the people do, about traffic conditions, about no service or bad service in service industry, about the skyscraping prices (compared with the amout we earn:P)... etc. Despite all these, we love the country we were born in, you know, it's like mother, beautiful or plain, father, rich or poor, we love them unconditionally, as they do to us.

Say nothing of the amazing culture, the long history and fantastic heritage that handed down from generation to generation, and now in our hands.

Anyway, China is very important to Chinese, very.

PS. Obviously there IS a set of hidden traffic rules, it is just motor-vehicle-friendly one: on almost all type of roads, the motor vehicle has the right of the way over pedestrians!! When the drivers don't drive, they have to shuttle between the two sides of the street too.
Nov 20, 2006 01:44
  • CALIFORNIA
We like talking with our neighbors,and Japan is one of our neighbors,so many persons like talking about that beautiful country:-)
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How Important Is China - to Chinese ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code