Nov 20, 2006 07:39
  • KSWONG
I think China could be a great country rivalling even Switzerland
if it can achieve these few things:

1. Improve the sanitary conditions throughout the country,
especially the toilets and so on
2. Ban spitting in public
3. Ban smoking in public
4. Prevent pollution (from factories, motor vehicles and so on)
5. Teach its citizens to be gracious and well-mannered

Nov 20, 2006 19:19
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,so ridiculous~~~~~~

Have you been to China???
Nov 20, 2006 21:30
  • MAY001
Haha, Cali, good question!

Let me say sth about these:
1. Improve the sanitary conditions throughout the country, especially the toilets and so on

Yes, some toilets in rural area are really unbearable. But locals survive. Another thing I must say, Chinese people think that in the public toilets the squat closestool is healthier than a sitting one.

2. Ban spitting in public

Actually it is banned. That's is a way to earn money. Banned and fined.

3. Ban smoking in public

Actually it is also banned. Ok, not every public place. But at least some of them. Still a kind of way to earn money.

4. Prevent pollution (from factories, motor vehicles and so on)

Oh, maybe firstly we should close all the international auto factories?

5. Teach its citizens to be gracious and well-mannered

I believe most of Chinese are born to be gracious and well-mannered. In a Chinese way.
Nov 21, 2006 00:30
  • CALIFORNIA
Some persons like the "Well bottom frog"---(井底之蛙)

So funny!!!

Chairman Mao said:No investigation,No speaking:-)
Nov 21, 2006 00:42
  • LOVEISVERB
I can't agree with you more, Cali, well said!
Nov 21, 2006 00:48
  • CALIFORNIA
What's your opinion?Loveisverb!
Nov 21, 2006 01:01
  • LOVEISVERB
I have about the same opinion as you, California. I don't know why people come to China and tell 1.3billion people here what to do and how to behave!!!

And when Chinese go abroad, they say: "do in Rome as Rome does". Actually you don't have to do whatever local people do, but first of all you need to respect and accept them.
Nov 21, 2006 01:06
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Loveisverb,

In fact,they still fear "RED":-)
Nov 21, 2006 01:06
  • APAULT
An interesting question Pinetree and some interesting replies.

You said ..Chinese migration started in the late 19th & early 20th centuries. Unfortunately, in most western countries & Americas these Chinese immigrants have not been properly-treated ... I cannot agree more, the way the old Chinese immigrants to Australia was treated was shameful.

But I think you also imply that their descendants are Chinese...here we disagree. I originated in Britain, but my children born here are Australian, not British. So I consider you a Singaporean, not Chinese! Yes this is different from the way most Chinese think (I believe) - no problem cultural difference!

But why don't the real Chinese (haha, just a friendly dig Pinetree, don't be offended) discuss in here? I think that's easy, it is primarily a forum for visitors, people who want information. Of course we have some Chinese members that we are so indebted to who provide so much useful advice.

Mayoo1 reminds us there are some negative aspects about China.. I agree with what she is saying, but this is not the forum where foreigners will talk about them. I have no desire to belittle China, there is no reason to, but I get very frustrated at times.

Please allow me to ask just one question. Why is it that the ever so couteous people of China, people who are inclined to take their time rather than rush life, become so inconsiderate and aggressive when they get behind the wheel of a car (or on a motorbike)? I have an idea, how about a regulation which requires the car horn to be linked to the brakes? Pedestrians deserve a fair go too!
Nov 21, 2006 03:07
  • PINETREE
I am so surprised that so many local Chinese speak up here !! My god, where were all of u before ? Why the sudden interest in this thread ?
KS, u said the wrong things - I am afraid. They are right tho but I am surprised at the type of posts that they choose to participate in. I suppose some are sensitive to them, some are not depending on who say it.
Hmm, more to it, more to it.
Good luck.

Apault - I do not wish to engage in any discussion with u at all. So remain friendly - but don't poke. Anyway, there is no chance to do so anymore.

Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How Important Is China - to Chinese ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code