I'm currently based in Beijing and am planning a trip in January
to get as far south (and as warm) as possible while still staying
in China.

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Yunnan round
that time of year? Is it worth going all that way for? What about
Xishuangbanna?

Also planning a stop off at Guilin on the way down. Worth it or
not?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Nov 22, 2006 19:23
  • MAY001
It will be quite warm during the daylight in Yunnan, but pretty cool after the sundown. Both Yunnan and Guilin are pretty places with aboundant natural scenery and ethnical features.

If you want be warm, go to Hainan. :)
Nov 22, 2006 22:27
  • ELLYSE
Xishuangbanna would be a good choice. Weather there will be comparable to South-East Asia eg Thailand, Laos, Vietnam.
Nov 24, 2006 08:40
Thanks for the replies!

I have actually been considering Hainan. What's the best way to
get there?

Is there a boat across? Or is flying the only way?

Is it beach weather in the winter???

Thanks so much.
Nov 24, 2006 13:59
  • ELLYSE
If you don't want to fly, you could take the overnight train from Guangzhou to Haikou.
Nov 26, 2006 06:34
  • SILJA
Kunming is famous for “spring city”,it is not so cold in winter and not so hot in summer. The weather in January is at the end of winter, the weather is very warm, the temperature is about 20 degree. Also it is suitable for traveling.
By the way, I am a lawyer in Kunming, if you come to Kunming, we can have a talk in tea house, tel:13095338075, E-mail: 163.com|kmlawyerchen
Nov 28, 2006 09:52
  • BETWEENUS21
go straight to hainan and its famed sanya beach where its warm. Yunnan city can be pretty cold towards end Jan as the past 2 years have shown and even spring city resort is blistering cold - n in fact too cold for serious golf as it goes into single digit during that time of year. Looks like this year Kunming will be expericencing colder weather too esp jan/early feb.
Nov 28, 2006 17:37
  • APAULT
Hello Lost

There are ferries across to Hainan: you can cross on your own, by bus or on the train. The Train does not go beyond Haikou despite the trach shown on the Hainan maps.

If you go decide to go to Guilin first you can catch a train or bus from there. I don't know which buses actually cross to Hainan but I have seen them.

Alternatively you can go to Xuwen, which is not worth stopping in, and catch the ferry there. If you arrive at the Xuwen north bus station, turn left and cross the road and 100m or so along there is a small private bus, Y3. This will take you the 8km or so to the port. If you arrive at the south bus station it is just another km or so down the hill to the port.

The ferry to Haikou runs every 90 minutes, Y37. Some go to Xingang Wharf, close to town, a few cheap and moderate hotels on the way to town, others go to Xiuying Harbour a little further to the west - you can get a bus from there to the city. I was able to buy a map on the ferry from a vendor. I enjoyed Haikou, it has plenty of character.

From there to Sanya you can catch a bus down the east coast, it takes about 4 hours. From the bus station at Xinjang Wharf there is a cheap Y51 non-aircon bus, if you want aircon it costs Y80 and goes from a bus station near Xiuying harbour.

There are plenty of hotels in Sanya, arriving by bus you may be approached by touts...this is one place I accepted and was taken accross the road behind the shops to a small hotel which was just one floor in a block...cheap (Y60 with bathroom) and clean.

On the return, DO NOT buy a combined ferry and bus ticket from Haikou unless someone has experience of it. It is overpriced (one shop tried to charge more than double, and even at the ferry terminal it is Y25 higher) and you may find yourself still having to go a km or so up the hill to the southern bus station to make a connection which is several hours away. It is better to make your own crossing, go up the hill to the south bus station and see when the bus goes to your destination. If it is a long time, catch the small bus to the north bus station and check their times.

Nov 28, 2006 18:27
  • STOCKTOV
Hi,
I've written a few travel reviews about Yunnan...Kunming, Lijiang, and Xishuangbanna--and I was there in Winter. It's fantastic, especially Xishuangbanna. Check them out if you'd like...just click on Travel Reviews and look for me (stocktov) or click on my little face that's scrolling on the right side of your screen...

Hope you have a great trip!

Stocktov
Nov 29, 2006 17:07
  • KYLE
No matter what anyone says about Kunming being the "Spring City" its not completly true.
The air is beautiful, the city is clean, and you will get many days of blue skies.
However,
It is COLD. There is no in house heating. The temp may not drop below zero,
but
you will never warm up.

So dress real warm and enjoy all the beautiful sights.
Zhongdian and Dali are the best in my eyes.
Dec 6, 2006 08:41
Wow. Thank you everyone so much for the comprehensive
replies. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Yunnan in the winter
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code