Menu
HELP! I want to learn Mandarin
Dec 11, 2006 02:09
  • KULATS
Hi

here is the bi-language links (Mandarin & english). You simply can test your capability in Mandarin.

http://www.swisscash.biz/web/cn/asc_company.aspx

Dec 12, 2006 11:20
  • RCHURRO
thanks for the info GRiz... and congrats on getting to the lvl 3. I just finished lvl 1 last week and you're right it's not that easy. Do you listen to each lesson 1 time? or multiple times? I feel liek I should listen to them more than once but I figure there's a lot of recall later on and that I might be ok. so far I can't say that I know the tape 100%. but maybe 90%. pretty good program too I should say. also I took a look at rosetta stone, but I didn't like how I didn't really understand the pictures that well like if there was a person dancing and I thought the whole time it was a man... man. but it wasn't. and again, I'm not fishing, and in no way affiliated ... but chinesepod.com is very well done and it's free to listen. if you want study materials I think you have to pay. I'm not sure, I'm cheap and never signed up. the lessons are pretty short though. just one sentence a lesson I think. anyways that's my 2 cents (american term... don't know if it applies anywhere else... meaning "my thoughts" or maybe "my humble contributions")
Dec 19, 2006 03:54
  • PAPAALHAWAII
My two cents is not going to be that inspiring but... I started with the college course Integrated Chinese. I listened to that tape for three years barely moving along. I couldn't speak with anyone. I just kept listening. Then I started branching out. I got books and tapes from friends, including Pimsleur. Then I found a tutor. I teach her English, she teaches me Chinese. She is a retired teacher so she is patient. I am a teacher, so I am patient. That really kickstarted it but I don't think I could have done it without the three years first. Now I'm at nearly four years, I listen to ChinesePod--I like it--I've found any number of sites on the web with audio and/or video. And I can carry on a bare conversation. I can hear the sounds now, most of the tones. I know enough words where the tone matters, like hao3 ma for ok vs. hao4 ma for number. I can ask shi shenma yisi and repeat the word that I didn't understand. This is a huge leap forward. My two cents? Keep at it.
Dec 22, 2006 11:49
  • DAWEI
Pimsleur is superb! - before using it I thought I had no language ability. If it can teach me, it can be effective with almost anyone <g>. I went to Beijing & Guangzho after spending 6 mo. with Mand 1 and was 1/2 thru Man 2.

Although my vobulary was limited, I had no problem being understood and was able to have limited conversations with strangers. Now, I've completed 1-3 and a different 30 Pimsleur lessons from a no longer available (but excellent) Amer Manag Assoc course. It's amazing how much fun it is to talk with Chinese colleagues or to people in Chinatown (they enjoy it as well).

For training your ears, try watching movies with subtitles. Although most of the speaking still goes over my head, it is remarkably enjoyable and has helped my comprehension immensely.

I've listened to the CDs many many times - but because of the Pimsleur approach, it remains interesting - particularly so for Mand 2 & 3.
Nov 16, 2007 03:30
GUEST93479 Hi there,
We have built a website to let you watch a lot of videos to learn mandarin and english. It is all free! Do check it out: www.ecpod.com

You can also contribute videos and we pay you. Thks.
Nov 29, 2010 22:19
GUEST09175 the only thing u have to do is to talk to a local Chinese who speaks Mandarin.
btw,im a Chinese,and im interested in english learning.
Nov 29, 2010 22:21
GUEST09175
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST09175

the only thing u have to do is to talk to a local Chinese who speaks Mandarin.
btw,im a Chinese,and im interested in english learning.

contact me if you wish: skype id: shenshen12310
email: gmail.com|qq35613977
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: HELP! I want to learn Mandarin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code