Menu
what to do when ripped off in China and how to prevent?
Jan 9, 2007 19:25
  • EXLIFE

what do you think about after reading Martin's post titled " Got Rip Off for Lunch Bill at China, Hainan Island, Bo Ao!" i believe some of you must have similar experiences. it may destroy the pleasure of your whole trip, doesn' t it?

travellers to China should know how to protect your rights and interests and how to retrieve losses.

do you think calling 110 (phone number for emergent help from the police) a good idea?

Jan 10, 2007 18:07
  • GRIZ326
On my trip last summer, my native Chinese traveling companion surely saved me from a number of rip-offs.

...but I've been ripped off in every country I've visited - except for China 1978. (See the story in the "Got Rip Off for Lunch Bill at China, Hainan Island, Bo Ao!" thread) Getting ripped off is part of traveling; most rip-offs are for trivial amounts of money. The biggest universal rip-off happens at the money changer's window ;) (I will not post my favorite one-liner about this subject because it may be offensive to some - but it is both true and funny - the one-liner...email me if you want the joke)

The problem with being ripped off in China, especially in something like the teahouse scam I've read about on other sites, is that if you seek the help of the police:

* Will you be able to communicate the problem?
* Will they believe you?
* Will they do anything about it?
* Will it end with a return of your money?
* Could you find yourself in more trouble as a result of reporting the ripoff?

The theft of property, such as a camera, jewelry, or magician's apparatus :( is a different matter. Fortunately, that has only happened to me in Germany.

So long as the rip-off does you no physical harm, it is really no big deal. Even when your passport, money, and tickets are all taken it is a great life experience even if it is not a good one, you will get over it.

As for the thief in Germany, I know who he is; how to find him; and will visit him the next time I am in Dusseldorf.
Jan 15, 2007 20:01
  • APAULT
Just in case this topic frightens some people from visiting China, I will describe my mostly positive excperiences.

I had little problem with being ripped off in China. One reason is that I did not visit many of the core tourist spots where this is most common (I am told) and the other is that it is not a common occurance.

In Shanghai I could have fallen for the invitations to go for a coffee with one of the many youung people that approached me In Nanjing Street and then being presented with a large bill, by local standards - but we should all be aware of that one. On the other hand, people approached me in many cities and smaller places to be friendly and to practice English. They expect nothing, though often hope to get an email or phone contact. Some will offer to buy you a meal!

A bus driver knew I might have some difficulty in his tourist village - (Yangmei west of Nanning, Guanxi - well worth a visit) and phoned ahead to arrange an English major uni student to neet the bus AND took me to his home for a meal.

In Sanya, a 'travel agent' wanted 200 RMB for a ferry and bus ticket that going south cost less than 100 RMB. If you travel alone and unbooked you must allow enough time and have the confidence to say 'no', a cab to the ferry was a simple alternative.

In a real travel agent (CTS) in Chikan District Zhanjiang, Guangdong, (yeah, that's a plug) an agent made a big effort to get me a cheap flight to Australia... even to the extent that I got the internal flight to Guangzhou at a negative price! They could easily have made a big bonus by charging me something for that.

Sure I paid a few yuan more occasionally in taxi type transport, BUT equally I paid the rounded down metered fare just as the locals do in many places.

Yes I might pay a little more in some shops,markets, and hotels, not because I was a foreigner but because I didn't know how to bargain, or prefer not to - I don't begrudge the few extra yuan.

Overall, help outwieghed the rip offs by 100 to 1, I am sure the more experienced travellers (compared with me) in this forum have similar stories.

May 26, 2008 03:21
GUEST16778 China is now one great big scammers paradise. dont go to shanghai.
May 26, 2008 05:10
  • ELLYSE
I'm sure you're one of them, then.
May 26, 2008 21:07
  • DODGER
It depends on what you call “getting riped off “means?
Most travelers to China earn more in a month than the RO person does in a year.
You don't need to travel for this experience.
Goverements do it to us every day.
It's called Taxes.
Dodger.
May 27, 2008 09:25
  • JABAROOTOO
We all get ripped off all the time, at home and abroad.

Get used to it, wise up to some of the more obvious ones. Even blind Freddy can see some of them coming.

But for all the times we 'get ripped off' we are also on the receiving end of some very genuine and generous offers of assistance.
And if you are not, then ask why not.......................
Sep 21, 2008 19:14
GUEST23106 How about getting ripped off when trying to do business with them over the web? Have a look at http://www.fppacking.com Old Version for details on how I was ripped off.
Dec 28, 2008 04:04
GUEST48974 Having read all of the above messages all I can say is if you do not want to be charged about five times extra for anything from food to taxis 'DON'T GO TO WUDANG !'. I love southern China, I have stayed in Fujian on several occassions and rarely had any problems. Here in Hubei I experience racism and 'rip off' scams on a daily basis.
I am told that this is the chinese way and that its ok for the locals to try and rip foreigners off. If people in the UK treated chinese people in this manner there would be an outcry and rightly so.... wake up Wudang !.
Jun 14, 2010 12:31
GUEST49169 On May 31st, I return from a trip Kuala Lumpur crossed the border in Shenzhen trying to get on the last express train to Changping(Donggguan) Station! The scammer was waiting for me at the Luhu area and clearly was not his first try. He told me there are no more trains or buses to Changping and thus offer me a ride in his vehicle trying to recoup his one way trip back for 180 RMB and when I pay him no attenting he went down to 130RMB! Well here is the scram, he called his "Driver" and I got into the his Honda Accord and a minute later and wanted money and said his driver will take me to Changping. First I said "Are you trying to pull something here" and he or they wanted to my money and I gave them 200 RMB and they switched the money under the cover of darkness where I can't see. They said the bills (the bills they switched) are brand new and they wanted more USED bill, so they can switch on me. Again, not knowing the scam I gave them another 200RMB and they gave me some fake useless bill for my money. After I got scrammed and I was not aware of be scammed and told to let me off the vehicle, which was lock in the drivers compartment. I did not notice of be scammed until I went to a supermarket and tried to use the bills they switched on me. Needless to say, I wanted to kill someone at that time. I clear sugestion on going to China is there are lots of fakes including Money! Beware at all times.

James Wan MSN.COM|VODS
Jun 14, 2010 20:32
  • TEXAS80
I remember when I got caught up in a scam here in my hometown of Austin, TX. Walked out of my bank, guy was gonna offer me $100 to take him 3 miles away. He asked about my bank account showed me a lot of money he needed....long story short it was a pidgeon drop scheme.My lucky ticket was not having any money in the first place. I had $30 in my bank account, $5 in my wallet....haha.

Didn't know it was a scam until I told a guy at work about what happened later in the day.

Not sure how to prevent scamming 100% but at least reading all these stories and even some from Wikitravel http://wikitravel.org/en/Common_scams would seem to help. Knowledge is power in this case. :)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: what to do when ripped off in China and how to prevent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code