Menu
what to do when ripped off in China and how to prevent?
Jul 30, 2010 09:15
GUEST01793 I just went to ZhuJiaJiao, the little water village close to Shanghai, there we went to lunch in one of those dinky little restaurants in the town. Six dishes later, we got a bill for 658 rmb. Shocked and surprised I went and looked at the English menu and the Chinese menu, only to find out the prices were different(thankfully the English menu had the chinese names next to it). Then we found out that the Mandarin fish we ordered didn't have a price which meant the people thought it was fine to charge 338 rmb for one tiny fish. We paid the meal, angry and causing a minor scene, and went straight to the tourist center. There we complained about the pricing and took the tourist police to the restaurant where after a bit of arguing they gave us some money back after admitting they charged more because we were westerners. We still got ripped off but at least we got some money back and hopefully they think twice before they overcharge westerners.
Jul 2, 2011 05:56
GUESTNG HEN ... Recently I went to Beijing alone for a 5 days break.One evening on 22nd June 2011,I decided to do some shopping at the Wangfujing area. At about 21.10 hrs somewhere outside the APM shopping mall,I was approached by a lanky lady who ask me if I m intersted to visit one of the massage centre. She say,the room charges will be 100rmb unlimited time use..Feeling tired after some sights seeing earlier the day. I decided to lollow her to the centre..She brought me to YS Karaoke which is located a 200 m walk from Novetel Hotel,Donganmen Street,Dongcheng District.
She show me to a Karaoke room and 5 ladies came in,I m told to pick, After I ve pick one of them,the tall lady who brought me left the room.
I m left with the GRo lady which I ve chosen, then I ordered 4 small glasses of Tsingtao beer,the Gro told me each bottles cost 20rmb..we finished drinking,she ordered2 glasses of wine/liquor..I assume those were wine as they come in wine glassess. We listened to some music and we drank about 10 glasses of wine. 2 hours later I decided that I ve enough,when the bill came. I got a shock of my life,the total was 8 thousands RMB, exclusive of a couple of hundred paid to the GRO and the mummy..I told the GRO that I do not have that much money,then the manager came in and asked what's my problem..So I paid via my credit card..I would like to know how such a Karaoke charge so expensive for just some drinks. I feel that I ve been rib off..Can anyone advice where and how should I lodge a complaint.
Thank you.
Jul 2, 2011 21:36
GUEST04154 GUESTNG ...

You must have learnt a good lesson: Be very careful with those pretty girls who invites you to a bar, massage center etc. Didn't you find something wrong when she brought you to a karaoke?You asked to go to the massage center, not a karaoke. Next time you want to have massage, please go to the massage center directly.

By the way, I sense that you were looking for not only a massage lady but also a woman to sleep with.
Jul 21, 2011 10:06
GUESTTOM I just went to Beijing for 5 days and was scammed by all of the above. I have traveled a good deal in European cities and North America and have never encountered anything like the scams in this place. If I only would have seen a web site about scams in Beijing before traveling, I could have avoided:

1) Tea ceremony near Tianammen with two "students" for 330 USD.

2) 300 RMB for some generic calligraphy from a local Chinese "artist."

3) Rickshaw ride for 50 meters for 50 RMB. This after being presented with an initial price of 300 RMB and being physically intimidated by the driver to pay.

4) Two "students" take me to a bar close to Wangfujing, later it turns out, one is the prostitute, another the pimp. Luckily, I escaped having only paid for my beer.

5) Trip to Great Wall, Ming's Tomb, Olympic Stadium. Includes attractions such as jade and silk gift shops and a massage parlor. I bought nothing in the shops and paid for the trip at the beginning, but later I was threatened that I would have to "sign the bill" by the tour guide and the driver. I and two tourists from Sweden escaped by taxi. A family from Israel went into the massage parlor and I don't know what happened to them. No Ming's Tomb because of "bad weather" (it was fine.) I fled before the Olympic Stadium and the "signing the bill" ceremony.

Bottom line: If you come here, DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE ON THE STREET! Or don't even come. This is not Europe, go to Paris, London, or Berlin if you want to travel. It's expensive but at least the people are not born liars and you'll see prices up front.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: what to do when ripped off in China and how to prevent?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code