Menu
Two most difficult languages to learn
Feb 9, 2007 03:42
  • HEIDI
I have heard that, among all the world languages, the two most difficult languages to learn are Chinese and Arabic. Why? Is it right? Is there anyone learning Arabic here? Share your studying experience with us please.
Feb 27, 2007 22:51
  • CHYNAGYRL
Sorry, I don't know anything about Arabic. However, I did find that Mandarin is a very difficult language to learn. My teacher said that you do not need to be intelligent to learn a new language, but you need to memorize and repeat new words many times to learn. Chinese kids typically take three years longer than English-speaking children to learn their language, but as a result, they are smarter than Western kids because Mandarin requires both hemispheres of the brain to process. Reading Chinese requires a lot more sophisticated visual recognition of characters than in reading English. Understanding Mandarin requires the right brain (music center) to process the tones that sound like music, and the left brain to understand the syntactical patterns. When people listen to English language, only the left brain is active (shown by CAT scans).

Also, the script languages on the Euro-Asian continent evolved from two main sources. It is possible to trace almost every European, Indian, and African language back to Egyptian hieroglyphics / Phoenician, but Chinese language had a different evolution. You can trace English, Greek, Sanskrit, even Korean are all derivative somehow from Phoenician -- but Mandarin is different from those. That's one thing that makes it so special :-)
Feb 28, 2007 12:26
  • LIONPOWER
Hi Heidi,
If you wish to learn Arabis, too many web site for free. Go there and take part.

http://afl.ajeeb.com/freetour/menu/menu.html
http://www.islamopas.com/arabic/eindex.html
www.funwitharabic.com
www.shariahprogram.ca

Not too hard like Mandarin for us.
Feb 28, 2007 19:28
  • MAY001
So, Chinese is the most difficult thing?
Mar 1, 2007 00:37
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, may001
10 years passed, I can't speak in Chinese
Mar 1, 2007 01:02
  • APAULT
Ah, Lionpower, I thought I was alone in making little progress in learning Chinese. I have written previously how hard I find it - it is a small consolation that I am not alone (sure I have had only 15 months not 10 years, but I think it will make little difference) :(
Mar 1, 2007 03:10
  • HEIDI
Thank you Sharif.

Don't be disappointed both Sharif and Paul. It needs time and will. Although English is not as hard as Chinese to learn, after 12 years of English study my English is still just so so.
Mar 1, 2007 11:22
  • LIONPOWER
English is my fourth Language.
Officially it is 2nd language.
Mother language is Bengoli, then we should learn Arabic, Two other language need to learn for business and society that’s Hindi & Urdu.
Have some little practice on Vietnamese.
Don’t understand why I failed to learn Mandarin? Early days which I have earned, losing day to day.
Now a day, surrounding business people can speak in English, so we forget to practice in Mandarin. May be that is why.
May be our surrounding business people did not wish to teach us mandarin, that’s a business secrecy for them.
Can understand what’s the daily business needs. Can’t speak.
Thanks Paul for share with me.
Thanks heidi
Mar 1, 2007 18:59
  • ELLEN77
Chinese is really a difficult and complicated laguage, but it deserves your learning, I think. Although I'm learning English all these years and I find I'm deep in love of it. I love Chinese better, I think it is not just as simply a mother-tie. Without reading any chinese writings or English writings for some time, I'll feel I'm lost and will bungle to use them.
Mar 1, 2007 21:57
  • HEIDI
Hi Sharif, you are great as you can speak so many kinds of language.

Are Arabic, Hindi and Urdu difficult to learn? Do you study them by yourself or they are taught when you were in school?
Mar 2, 2007 22:53
  • LIONPOWER
Hindi and Urdu some what similar to my mother language. before time it was state language. So it's easy for me.
Arabic, our religious Language. So we must to learn it.

Don't waste time to learn these if you have no application.
Page 1 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Two most difficult languages to learn
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code