Menu
Two most difficult languages to learn
Apr 14, 2007 00:42
Is anybody here know Latin?
Apr 19, 2007 17:34
  • SANYACHINA
"That depends on why you want to learn a foreign language, I think.

I suggest you study Chinese, since it's the origin of Japanese and Korean. Once you know Chinese, you know some Japanese words though the pronunciation may be different."

WHAT?! :)

Dear, Korean and Japanese are ALTAIC languages and they are coming from the same root as:
-Mongolian
-Tungus-Machurain
-Turkic (Tatarian, Uzbek, Kazakh, Bashkort, Chuvash, etc.)

The Chinese words in Korean and Japanese do not make these Altaic languages part of the Sino-Tibetan languages where is situated the Chinese language.
Apr 22, 2007 02:15
  • WIZARD1982
i think that it is always hard for a ppl to study a new language, because you are used to think by the way of your own languge, including the gramma, accent, ect.
so if you study a new language without the evironment, it is too hard, for example, i am studying french, i found it is totally different from english and chinese, but because i like french, so it is boring, i mean i enjoy =)
Apr 22, 2007 04:04
  • SANYACHINA
French is not so different from English. The lexical found is often similar and some grammar is similar. Both are Indo-Europen languages.

"Is anybody here know Latin?"

I do, a little bit.
May 14, 2007 20:28
  • LINGZ
If you spent years in learning Chinese but still can't speak Chinese, you obviously had taken very ineffective and painful paths. But you are not alone. There are way too many people who chose the hard way. They either chose the wrong textbooks, wrong training courses or use the wrong learning methodologies.

My book "Essential Chinese 1500" and "Intermediate Chinese 1500" provide you the solution to such problem. Students who had used my books in the past had amazed at how fast they could learn all on their own. To gain speed in learning Chinese, have a look at my books at http://www.lulu.com/xinxu .

Good luck.

Xin Xu
Author of "Essential Chinese 1500" and "Intermediate Chinese 1500"

Jul 16, 2007 17:07
  • SPIKYFRUIT
related languages, of course, are always easier. my functional (not fluent) spanish gets me by reading italian and even a little french.
the foreign service institue has categorized language according to difficulty for adult english speakers to learn. category one languages are most similar to english, and therefore easier to learn (romance and germanic languages). category two languages are more difficult, and have different alphabets and linguistic roots (slavic, semetic, and hindi). category three is most difficult, for reasons of linguistic and cultural difference and are arabic, chinese (cantonese and mandarin), korean, and japanese.

http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/learningExpectations.html
Jul 27, 2007 01:50
  • MONICAMARS
i had once heard, the most two difficult language in the world are Chinese and Greek. my second foreign language is Germany, but after two years learning, i can't even speak one sentence in Germany. so pity~:(
Aug 30, 2007 19:41
  • DYLAN0428
the beggining is the most difficult ,because chinese is very very different from other letter language.
but you through the beggining,it's very easy,chinese usually use 2000-3000 single characters in daily life,and the word are most combined with the single characters,you can guess the words meaning through the single characters.
but english has huge numbers of words to remember.
Sep 7, 2007 07:22
  • ZHENG3721
大家好,我是中国人,你们想学mandarin.我想学English.大家一起来学习如何啊?哪位想join 我,你来说普通话,我来说英语,互相学习,互相帮助,共同进步,怎么样啊?有意者请加我,icq number:376958396.wellcome to beihai city,China.
Sep 7, 2007 15:44
  • BUNKY13
I have just started learning Chinese for the past 3 weeks. It is a very hard language to speak but I am finding that it is not that hard to read. With just 3 weeks under my belt I actually understood some of the previous posting. That made my day.
Page 3 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Two most difficult languages to learn
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code