Menu
Do you put MSG in your dish?
Feb 26, 2007 02:22
  • HEIDI
Monosodium Glutamate (Wei Jing), a kind of seasoning for cooking in China is widely used. By adding the MSG, dishes and soup will be more fresh and delicious. However some people think it is a kind of food additive that is bad to people's health.

Do you usually put MSG while cooking? How do you think it?
Feb 26, 2007 03:23
  • PEA28COCK
I often put MSG in dish, more than the average amount. I know it is a bad habit. :(
Feb 26, 2007 05:32
  • LIZXLI
There is no doubt that MSG makes the food more delicious,but I finally dropped the habit of adding it into the dish once I need to cook by myself.
Feb 26, 2007 11:00
  • LIONPOWER
MSG is absorbed very quickly (unlike glutamic acid-containing proteins in foods), MSG could spike blood plasma levels of glutamate. Glutamic acid is in a class of chemicals known as excitotoxins, high levels of which have been shown in animal studies to cause damage to areas of the brain unprotected by the blood-brain barrier and that a variety of chronic diseases can arise out of this neurotoxicity. The debate among scientists on the significance of these findings has been raging since the early 1970s, when Dr. John Olney found that high levels of glutamic acid caused damage to the brains of infant mice. The debate is complex and has focused on several areas:
• Whether the increase in plasma glutamate levels from typical ingestion levels of MSG is enough to cause neurotoxicity in one dose or over time.
• Whether humans are susceptible to the neurotoxicity from glutamic acid seen in some animal experiments. It is known that the glutamate ion is important in memory retrieval in humans.
• Whether neurotoxicity from excitotoxins is caused by the combined effect of glutamic acid and other excitotoxins such as aspartic acid from aspartame.
At a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, the delegates had a split opinion on the issues related to neurotoxic effects from excitotoxic amino acids found in some additives such as MSG.
Some scientists believe that humans and other primates are not as susceptible to excitotoxins as rodents and therefore there is little concern with glutamic acid from MSG. While they agree that the combined effects of all food-based excitotoxins should be considered, their measurements of the blood plasma levels of glutamic acid after ingestion of monosodium glutamate and aspartame demonstrate that there is not a cause for concern.Other scientists feel that primates are susceptible to excitotoxic damageand that humans concentrate excitotoxins in the blood more than other animals. Based on these findings, they feel that humans are approximately 5-6 times more susceptible to the effects of excitotoxins than rodents are. While they agree that typical use of MSG does not spike glutamic acid to extremely high levels in adults, they are particularly concerned with potential effects in infants and young children and the potential long-term neurodegenerative effects of small-to-moderate spikes on plasma excitotoxin levels.
Feb 26, 2007 15:26
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, each decade, researchers come up with a new 'study' of what is good and/or bad for us.

Then a few years down the road, another study comes out and discounts the previous study.

So often, when I am in one of my favorite local Chinese restaurants in my city, I hear the customer state authoritatively, "I hope you don't use MSG !!??" Most of these people do not have a clue as to what they are saying. They just mimic what they have heard, in an effort to sound so intelligent !! LOL

I do not worry about MSG. I believe in moderation, in all that we eat or drink. The same person who worries about MSG, will then also smoke cigarettes, and or drink alcohol to excess !! Human nature !!?? LOL
Feb 26, 2007 20:50
  • HEIDI
Ha Ha, I agree with Roger.
Feb 26, 2007 20:57
  • MAY001
Yes, it's always hard to believe what 'Expert' said. They are just self-contradictory!! Anyway, don't eat too much. Everything will become poison when you eat to much ^o^
Feb 26, 2007 23:06
  • LIONPOWER
Scientist did not believe on literatures only. Need to research on it. A Scientist can’t finish his research in his life, continued by his followers.
Finally we getting good thing from their research. We availing this modern life in lieu of long labor of Scientist.
Think about wild life to your internet computer!!!
Feb 27, 2007 03:37
  • HEIDI
MSG is usually put in the dish in China.
How about other countries? Do westerners usually add MSG while cooking?
Feb 28, 2007 01:25
  • LIONPOWER
MSG strictly prohibited in our country, especially in commercial foods in Hotel or restaurants.
Feb 28, 2007 02:44
  • ROGERINCA
I use it at home sometimes. The most notable brand name was called 'Accent'. However, most Americans do not use it on a routine basis, as they did before the study, which made everyone think they would die a quick and horrible death, should they again consume it !!! LOL
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you put MSG in your dish?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code