Menu
Do you put MSG in your dish?
Mar 6, 2007 08:49
  • FAERIEQUEENE
oh that's a bad news for me... that MOST dishes are msg added here??
Mar 6, 2007 18:54
  • HEIDI
Hi faeriequeene, don't worry so much about the problem when eating in China. Only modereate MSG is added in dishes that is not bad for our health.

If you don't like MSG at all, you can tell the waiter not to put it in your dish. Haha...
Mar 8, 2007 21:58
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Heidi, lucky that in China the restaurant could be so personalised to the customers even for the food. I asked yesterday a Hong Kong styled restaurant (sort of wonton noodles) they told me that the food was readily prepared to serve haha... And they are reluctant to tell whether msg was added.
Mar 9, 2007 01:31
  • APAULT
I quote from an internet source as confirmation of something Korean friends had told me:

'Monosodium glutamate in the form of a dried seaweed (Kombu) has been used for thousands of years in East Asian countries.'

I wouldnt worry too much about a small amount of msg in my food. Some Chinese dishes have a high quantity of common salt (sodium chloride). It is an essential requiremnt for health of humans and most animals, but in excess it can lead to hardening of the arteries, strokes and heart attacks. However, the average intake of salt is between 9g and 10g a day. UK experts estimate that if average consumption of salt was cut from 9g to 6g a day it would prevent 70,000 heart attacks and strokes a year in the UK.

Mar 12, 2007 03:45
  • HEIDI
Hi FAERIEQUEENE, Don't worry too much about the food you ate in Hong Kong. I think if MSG was added in the food you ate, it was only a small amount although the waiter didn't tell you whether there was MSG in the food.

Like what Paul said, 'MSG, like salt is an essential requiremnt for health of humans and most animals, but in excess it can lead to disease.' Don't worry.

Enjoy your tour in China!
Mar 12, 2007 03:56
  • ROGERINCA
Yes Heidi,

People must keep in mind, this is a natural product...it is not poison !! It would take so much to cause any ill affect !! As I said before, I do not worry about MSG, whatsoever !!!
Mar 12, 2007 10:42
  • FAERIEQUEENE
given the important number of cancer cases these days, one should keep a healthy diet as early as when we are young...
some natural recipes i learnt here (burdock and vegi soup or fresh vegi juice with chinese bitter cucumber) could cleanse away the toxins from food
Mar 14, 2007 04:03
  • HEIDI
Hi faeriequeene, you must have a speacial research on food as you pay attiontion to your diet.

I have never cared much about the food I eat. But I would not like to eat too much soy sauce or salt. Because someone have told me this two seasonings can make one's skin dark. HaHa...^ - ^
Mar 14, 2007 20:29
  • HITURA
I eat anything that looks like they taste nice.
I excercise daily and never have any health problems. I think eat all type of food in moderation and do regular excercise is the best way to go.
This way you can enjoy all aspects of life.
Mar 22, 2007 19:00
  • APAULT
Rather than MSG, my concern is some of the vegetables grown by the roadside... oh so many nasty chemicals must be in them. Then the animals eat them... OK I could stay in Aus or somewhere else and the animals are full of hormones and the vegetables sprayed with chemicals every month.... seems there's no answer any more. Perhaps MSG neutralises the bad chemicals!
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you put MSG in your dish?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code