Menu
利市 - The red envelope
Feb 26, 2007 11:01
  • GRIZ326
I understand that a groom gives the father a red envelope before marriage to the man's daughter.

...and I've read on the forum here that it is used to give gifts during festival times...

...but is this an ordinary envelope that is red in color?

Or is it a very special envelope with fancy designs and such?

Is it appropriate to give a red envelope with a few yuan in it to a child?

Feb 26, 2007 11:37
  • LIONPOWER
Mostly fancy designs.
Gifts, Affection from the heart, it may fewv or big, always gift
Feb 26, 2007 20:29
  • MAY001
Actually 利市 is what Cantonese called Red Envelope. During Spring Festival, Red Envelope was given to children. Money are packaged with the meaning of prolonging their childhood without having to grow too fast (压岁钱). Some stories said that 岁 (Sui) has the same meaning with 祟 (Sui), which was an evil monster appeared at New Year's Eve. The monster liked to scare kids at the New Year's Eve and the kids would became a fool after seeing the monster. Thus, kids and parents didn't dare to sleep during the New Year's Eve. And it's called 守祟 (Shou Sui), which later became to 守岁.
Feb 26, 2007 20:34
  • MAY001
One new year's eve, a family tried to make their kid not to sleep by gave the kid several coins packed by red paper. When the monster came, the coins shot a golden ray and the monster was lustrated. Later, more people know this story and give kid Red Envelope became a tradition.
Feb 26, 2007 20:38
  • MAY001
Red Envelope also can be given at other times and situations. For example, most company in South China, including Guangdong and Hong Kong, the boss will give staffs Red Envelope at the very day they come back to work after the Spring Festival. Parents-in-law should give Red Envelope to the newly-wed at the Wedding Ceremony. People who attend the wedding ceremony or other ceremonies also can give the host/hostess Red Envelopes.
Feb 26, 2007 22:35
  • LIONPOWER
Thanks May for your post .

We know " Sui" means Water (soft drink) and
Shou Sui means Hard Drink .

Are we wrong?

I can't read Chenese Character.
Feb 27, 2007 00:27
  • SERENA07
Hi, lion,

The Chinese Pinyin for Water is not "Sui" but "Shui", and "Shou Sui" has nothing to do with Water or Drink.

Just as May had said that "Sui" is an evil monster according to a Chinese legend, and "Shou Sui" means to watch out for the monster and to prevent it from hurting the kids.

Now, clear? :)
Feb 27, 2007 00:42
  • SERENA07
Hi, griz,

Red Envelope is not just an ordinary envelope red in color. Actually it is smaller than an ordinary envelope, just as big as the palm, and red in color of course. Fancy designs and words for luck are alway on it.
Feb 27, 2007 01:41
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,so interesting~~~~~~
Feb 27, 2007 01:59
  • CHESTERZZW
hello guys!my first time to voice here! i got 1500 rmb this spring festival,cause i'm a student,here is the chinese custom,you'll receive money at spring festival every year until you can earn by yourself.how about that? guys?
Feb 27, 2007 03:42
  • MIRANDAZHAO
In northern China, you can get the money until you can earn by yourself. But I heard that in southern China, parents and relatives will give you money till you married.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 利市 - The red envelope
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code