Menu
'Mistake' made by Oscar offended Chinese people
Feb 28, 2007 02:01
  • MAY001
The most successful movie in this year's Oscar should be The Departed, directed by Martin Scorsese and adapted from the Hong Kong movie, Infernal Affairs. But the voice-over said that The Departed was originated from a Japanese movie, which made my Chinese people angry and unhappy.

Have you ever watched the two movies? How do you think about them? Which is better according to you?

Feb 28, 2007 02:53
  • ROGERINCA
Hi May,

I did not hear anything about this issue ???

But then again, I did not watch the Oscar's.

I am usually always 'offended' by something they do during that event; so I stopped watching it several years ago !! LOL Next year, spend that time here at TCG !! :)

Hopefully, if there was an error or oversight, they will offer an apology or clarification ??

Feb 28, 2007 06:59
  • STOCKTOV
Hi May,
If they got it wrong in that one moment then it was definitely a mistake. In every other press release and commentary they have gotten it right. I personally don't remember them saying that when I was watching, but perhaps they did. Are you sure it was the voice-over's mistake and not the subtitles'?

To be honest, I thought during the Producers' thank you speech he would have mentioned the original Hong Kong film, but he didn't, and I thought that was a sloppy oversight myself.

Anyway, I like the Scorsese version better and my boyfriend likes the Hong Kong version. I like the male characters (Andy Lau!) in the Hong Kong film better but I like the way Scorsese tells the story, combining the three films into one and giving more history of each character before the climax...and the female actors in the American version are stronger.

Anyway, that's all. The mistake would never have been made intentionally if it was made...just a silly mistake. I hope the Chinese people don't feel too bad about it and forgive the Oscars...
Feb 28, 2007 18:49
  • MAY001
Hi, Roger. In fact, I didin't watch it, neither. I don't like that kind of event at all. I just like movie...
Hi, stocktov. I read the news from internet and it said that the voice-over made the mistake when introducing the movie. Anyway, I didn't watch it. And may I know your boyfriend's nationality? I believe most Asian people prefer the Hong Kong version.
Feb 28, 2007 19:03
  • MAY001
I like the HK version cos the Scorsese version is not that complex. HK version is darker and focusing on the mental struggle of the both side, cop and gangdom. Especially the first film, which is indeed a great hit when it showed.
By the way, do you know what the name (无间道) of HK version means? :)

Feb 28, 2007 21:39
  • ROGERINCA
Stocktov,

Your writing as a Correspondent, is superb !!

I do hope, however, that you have the time to involve yourself in this forum even more often !!

I have great respect for your civility, maturity, articulate writing ability, and your opinions.

Best wishes, Roger :)
Mar 28, 2007 17:35
  • SANYACHINA
"The Departed was originated from a Japanese movie, which made my Chinese people angry and unhappy."

And if the mistake was like : "Originated from an American movie"?
Mar 29, 2007 01:17
  • LIONPOWER
Ans: Not too angry
Mar 29, 2007 02:51
  • BBQQ
Er...maybe you are right, LP. But I believe some of we Chinese will still feel annoyed.
Mar 29, 2007 03:27
  • LIONPOWER
Lee,
Is it costume?
Mar 29, 2007 18:06
  • SANYACHINA
It is interesting. During the Opium wars England and France did a lot of terrible things here, but...now for exampe "French are cute and lovely, good, romantic guys!!!" , "Japanese are bad!"... In the same time I bet that many Chinese don't know what troubles is doing France , for example:

-Problems about Tibet
-Problems about " *** "
-Problems about Darfur...

LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ...
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 'Mistake' made by Oscar offended Chinese people
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code