Menu
Chinese women on dating sites: theories/questions/opinions
Mar 1, 2007 14:30
  • GRIZ326
I have a theory about the Chinese women looking for men on the online dating sites. While I have some personal experience in this matter, I'd like to have my theory vetted by those on the ground in China.

The theory goes like this:

A very high percentage of the Chinese women on dating sites are looking for Western men hoping for a different life. Most of these women are divorced and perhaps older than Chinese men want a wife. They go to a "translator" for help in contacting a Western man.

The translator then places the woman's personals ad on the dating site and responds on her behalf with the information the woman provided the translator.

The relationship between the translator and the woman is a business relationship. If the translator doesn't produce a man to visit her, the translator only receives a basic fee. If a man shows up to visit her, the translator gets a large fee. If the man proposes marriage, the translator gets a very large fee.

This is what I suspect happened with the woman I met last summer.

My trip to Guangzhou this summer has nothing to do with women this time, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy meeting a nice woman. So I initiated contact with a few women on a dating site. The emails from the dating site women read almost like form letters using archaic English words. The emails do answer specific questions, but in a very business-like sort of way.

So now I am communicating with just one woman who admits she is using a translator. I do not intend to meet her when I am in China because I sense there will be some odd pressures involved with such a meeting.

My suspicion is that if I even meet this woman just for a cup of tea that she may have to pay a large sum of money to the translator for a successful contact.

Does this sound plausible?

Opinions please....
Mar 1, 2007 19:03
  • PEA28COCK
LOL....... Job like such a translator is the most interesting one I have ever heard. I wish I could find such a job one day. :)

And Griz, I think you should invite her for a cup of tea when you are in China. The reason is that meeting a westerner is what the woman expect most, regardless those moeny.
Mar 1, 2007 20:43
  • CANDYQ
Hello, Griz,

If I were you, I would not gave the dating a second thought, and your suspition is resonable.

Forget it I would say, 'cause I do not want a romantic dating turned out to be business-like say with a translator in-between 'mediating'? :)) but that kind of dating would have a lot to expect. LOL;

And I am wondering, what makes you to conclude that 'a very high percentage of the Chinese women on dating sites are looking for Western men hoping for a different life'? and I say that Chinese women do seek their Mr Rights on sites, and some of their Mr, Rights are happened to be westerneres, which is another story.

Best wishes. :)))
Mar 1, 2007 22:52
  • GRIZ326
The reason I say a high percentage of Chinese women on dating sites are looking for Western men is because of the sites they appear on....

If the dating sited is a Western site based in America or Europe, the majority of the men looking for women will be Western men... That is the only reason for that comment.

Certainly there are Chinese dating sites that attract far fewer Western men - if only because of the language of the website. On those sites the women expect contact from Chinese men.

...just a theory...
Mar 2, 2007 08:18
  • LIONPOWER
As “prostitution strictly prohibited in China”, some screen name are using for alternatives like massage parlor, dating, girlfriend etc. Although these have some basic difference, one related only with physical body & others may share with language. Final target is to enjoy sex.
Griz Boss, you have no problem to enjoy sex in China. It does depend upon your choice; women can’t speak English, but experts in body language. English speaking girls ( may be tell as girlfriend) 16-30 age limit, suits for so called dating, available. No translator required. You may not satisfy with them as they are not expert in body language (with respect to your age). Many other hide resources. Come in light; explore yourself—what is your wants?
Mar 2, 2007 08:57
  • MIKE11964
i would asume they are like any other women in the world,,just want to find a good man.
have nice family.
but i did notice the ages are over 30,,and seem many women are divorced now days in china,,
i guess is more western that you realize...
Mar 2, 2007 08:58
  • LIONPOWER
Sorry I forgot to tell, some dating site in China may use the photograph of girls, are false. This photograph she gives to a match making site to make friend. We get if from a dating site. May be intentionally or language problem.

Mar 2, 2007 10:45
  • GRIZ326
<b>What I was really hoping to learn was if I am correct about the translators role in online dating? </b>

Does anyone know?

As for sex...many babies are born every day so people must be rolling like thunder under the covers the world over. It is not a mystery...people are people.
Mar 5, 2007 12:32
  • CHYNAGYRL
I think you might be right. The catalogues with Russian brides used to be popular (might still be) among blue-collar workers in Canada or older people looking for a mail-order bride. Somehow the Chinese sites remind me of those. Might not be exactly the same, but I think the organizers of the Chinese businesses are making good money off of it. It's too bad -- if somehow you could circumvent the middle-man then it would make things a lot easier.
Mar 25, 2007 04:50
  • CHETWYND
Griz, I suspect it is no different from anywhere else...where there are people and money in the mix you're going to get a scam or two, but let me say that I never experienced the kind of problems you are worried about.
However, whatever the arrangement is between the lady concerned and their translator I think you should take the lady at face value and see what happens.
In my experience, the Chinese women I have met have been really great. And, as you know from another thread, I married one.
I might suggest that you try looking for ladies outside the big cities like GuangZhou. I think maybe there are less scams in the smaller regional places. But thats just a guess based on my own experiences.
Mar 25, 2007 05:31
  • LIONPOWER
Difficult ?
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese women on dating sites: theories/questions/opinions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code