Menu
Boyfriend or Girl friend culture
Mar 2, 2007 23:24
  • LIONPOWER
Is Chinese culture accepting Boyfriend or Girl friend status of the new generation?

What is the exact Chinese placement of these two words?

What about law?

Mar 3, 2007 11:20
  • BW750
Really an interesting issue. Wants more ---- on it.
Mar 4, 2007 11:28
  • LIONPOWER
Can write native Chinese people
Mar 5, 2007 00:43
  • PEA28COCK
In my opinion, Boyfriend or Girlfriend status has been widely accepted by Chinese. It is common to take boyfriend or girlfriend home to meet the parents. For most of the time, parents are satisfied with the one their kid chooses.

The word to replace Boyfriend or Girlfriend in my hometown is duixiang (4). :) The word duixiang means the boy or girl you choose or you like.
Mar 5, 2007 01:58
Yes, Lionpower, the culture of boyfriend and girlfriend is acceptable and very popular in China,especially in universities, haha~~
The Chinese characters for 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend' are '男朋友' and 女朋友'. --'nan peng you' (2 2 3) and 'nv peng you' (3 2 3).
The law encourages young people to find their own spouse.
Mar 5, 2007 10:42
  • LIONPOWER
Hi,
pea28cock & bethanybethany
Thanks for your post.
Have you idea about live together?
Whats the Govt. law.
Mar 5, 2007 19:00
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Lionpower,

In ancient times, marriage in China was thoroughly decided by parents and partially decided by the matchmaker. The girl or boy had no right or freedom to choose the one he or she like. What's more their first meeting was the day they got married. Unbelievable, right?

But now we are living in a totally different new society, therefor things change. Government encourages the young to find the one they love. Marriage which is forced by parents is forbidden by the law.
Mar 5, 2007 19:06
  • TRAVELDREAM
If neither of the two is too young, living together is acceptable in China. Maybe the Law says something, but seems that it doesn't work effectively. It's as if it says nothing!

Anybody knows exactly the law?
Mar 5, 2007 19:48
  • MAY001
No, no law at said you two lovers can't stay together. But your parents, especially the girl's parents will be angry to see so! Yes, angry. Parents still think chasteness is very important.
Mar 6, 2007 06:07
  • LIZXLI
In the past, couples often demonstrate affection inside a strict, loyalty-based family hierarchy.nowadays,many people live together before marriage.Obviously some disagree.

Many of my friends live together with their boyfriends,but most of them will not have sex before marriage which is a traditional belief for Chinese.I do not have the idea that living together is not proper.I just think that the two should get married at a suitable age.Ideally speaking,those living together would finally be a couple.

Anyway,now everything is changing,like women in china has a completely different role.From my point of view,living alone is not too bad except sometimes lonly feeling though.

Mar 6, 2007 12:00
  • BW750
" especially the girl's parents will be angry to see so"
My God!
Very curious
I have 3 years experience about China.
My all friend live together with their friends.
Even best festival they passing girls father house.
Many of them changes friends & living together with new friend.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Boyfriend or Girl friend culture
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code