Menu
Boyfriend or Girl friend culture
Mar 6, 2007 18:55
  • MAY001
You don't know whether the girls parents was angry or not, right. Maybe at the beginning of their relationship, the girl's parents was angry. But later, they just had to accept this truth.
Mar 6, 2007 19:21
  • GURTY
According to the GOVT laws, the students in the universities can get married. But few students who has a boyfriend or a girlfriend choose to marry. They don't think they will be able to support a family during their education period.
Mar 6, 2007 19:26
  • GURTY
This phenomenon is quite rare. Most girls only agree to live together with their future-husband.
Mar 6, 2007 20:26
Rare? Really? Are you sure?
Mar 6, 2007 22:10
  • LIONPOWER
Rare? Really? Are you sure?

Yes I am sure, Many living together. Written else where in this forum
Mar 8, 2007 12:14
  • BW750
How I will sure, my living together boy friend be husband in future?
Mar 8, 2007 19:46
  • MAY001
At least, hoping that he can be the husband. And hoping that can marry someday.
Mar 9, 2007 01:09
  • APAULT
As all language students are taught, you cannot properly understand a language unless you understand the culture that it relates to. This is important with the words boyfriend and girlfriend.

You see, in many countries they are used much more broadly than in China. So when I said to my Chinese university students that children of 12 have bfs/gfs they all gasped. In China the words tend to imply that the 'couple' are thinking of marriage, it seems to be a pre-engagement status. This is not true in Australia and similar countries.
Thus the words have a different meanings in different cultural contexts.

Most of my students say there is no way they will take a boy or girl to meet their parents or even mention them until they are very sure they plan to stay together. Indeed, my experience is that most young people in China only ever want one bf/gf who will become their one and only true love, anything else is still considered promiscuous. Whereas in western countries most young people expect to have a few (or more!) bfs/gfs before they find their true love. I am not convinced the majority of young Chinese have changed much in this traditional attitude, though no doubt the most westernised cities the attitudes must surely be changing (but not in Hebei province!)
Mar 9, 2007 02:20
  • ELLEN77
Hi Apault, that depends. I think the majority of the young generation now have more than one BF or GF before they find their right partners. But only the right one is the one they would like to bring to their family I think.
Mar 9, 2007 10:53
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, true love, supported by Asian countries. This also depends or varies on society he lives.
But before marriage, living together does not support in any Asian society.
Here no proper rules to girls right on this issue.

Mother before marry? Can’t express the situation of the girl in Asian society.

So parents are always in tension about their aged daughter. Not for their aged son’s as they are king in this society.
Page 2 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Boyfriend or Girl friend culture
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code