Menu
Sixty features used by Lao Wai to differentiate a Chinese, just for fun
Mar 8, 2007 11:55
  • LIONPOWER
Sixty features ?
Many omitted.
Mar 8, 2007 19:02
  • MAY001
This is original a Chinese version and I don't know whether it is written by Chinese or Westerners. I'm sorry for my bad translation.
I just think it can be used as reference for some of we Chinese.
Mar 10, 2007 08:24
  • LIONPOWER
When you are translating a subject, translate the theme, not word by word.
Mar 10, 2007 22:01
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
May, it reminds me of something I saw years ago. I had a New Zealand born Chinese flatmate, and he found a list on the internet very similar to this, apparently written by other overseas Chinese. That's why I say it doesn't seem like a laowai's view of Chinese. Also, I suspect most laowai would say very different things- it seems the writer knows enough about Chinese culture to write something reasonably accurate and funny, but most laowai wouldn't be able to do this without making fools of themselves or seeming racist. Anyway, who knows and who cares where it comes from? It's good for a laugh, and that's the point. Thanks for sharing it.
Mar 11, 2007 19:53
  • MAY001
O, thanks Chris. I see your point and I agree with u. Yes, Chinese people are more familiar with Chinese. Anyway, just for fun. ^_^
Mar 13, 2007 01:59
  • LIONPOWER
" Chinese people are more familiar with Chinese"
What about us?
Mar 13, 2007 23:11
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Sharif, I think that's a fair statement. We didn't grow up in China, we came here later in life and started the huge learning curve much later than Chinese people. We have our points of view, and our points of view are valid and (sometimes) valuable, but still.... I still often defer to my wife when it comes to negotiating the finer points of Chinese culture and society simply because she is more familiar with such things than I am. It's not because I don't speak the language (I do) or because I'm ignorant about China (I often teach her a lot about Chinese history and geography, just as two examples), it's simply the fact that she has lived here a hell of a lot longer than me, it's her native lanuage, native culture, native society, therefore she is naturally more familiar with it. Of course, the shoe will be on the other foot when we eventually visit New Zealand.
Mar 14, 2007 07:10
  • SAYHITOANT
Interesting article! I am a chinese singaporean and I have the following features:

5. You like KTV.
6. Your house is furnished by ceramic tile.
10. You never kissed your parents.
11.You never cuddled your parents.
13.Your hair will 'stands up' after you get up.
15.You like discount ticket.
17.You bath at night.
18 You only eat free food in the hotel.
22.You don't like use safe belt cos it made you uneasy.
24.There's a dishcloth on your kitchen table.
29. You always have hot water in bottle.
30. You eat in your kitchen.
37. You will wash rice for two or three time.
38. You don't use measuring cup.
39. You use your chopstick to beat eggs.
40. You have a tea cup with cover.
42.You like Chinese Kung Fu movies.
43. You never call your parents just for greeting them.
45.When you are ill, your parents ask you to not eat fried food cos it will make you worse!
47.You will empty your stomach before going to eat buffet dinner.
51.Your toothpaste is crushed like paper.
52.You know what is mooncake.
56.You bring fruits to the one you visit.

I scored 23 out of 60 features. Failed. I therefore conclude that, in the eye of Lao Wai, I am not considered a chinese.

Mar 14, 2007 16:06
  • APAULT
Sayhitoant. You said you are Singaporean: so you are not Chinese! You would not have learnt about the harmonious society and the scientific development and a thousand and one things that Chinese kids learn in their education. There are many people in Australia who have Chinese ancestors from several generations ago but that doesnt make them Chinese does it? I was born in England, my kids were born in Australia so they are Australian not English, aren't they?
Mar 14, 2007 20:16
  • MAY001
Well, in fact, these sixty features doesn't suit me well, too. But I'm sure I'm a Chinese. LOL
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Sixty features used by Lao Wai to differentiate a Chinese, just for fun
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code