Menu
car rental in Chengdu
Mar 9, 2007 23:31
Hello

my family is coming over to China in July for three weeks travelling. They want to go from Chengdu to Lhasa, preferably by car.

Is it possible for foreigners with a tourist visa to rent cars and drive them themselves? Or will we need to hire a driver too? Does anyone know a good car rental place in Chengdu?

And what route should we take? I've travelled along the spectacular North Sichuan-Tibet highway before, but didn't cross into Tibet. Is a crossing possible along this route?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hannah
Mar 10, 2007 09:45
  • JABAROOTOO
About driving first. You will need a current Chinese Driver's licence in order to self drive. You can hire a vehicle with a driver but I'm not able to give you any ideas on where or even how much. I suggest you get from A to B using public transport then hire a car with a driver to take you around locally as this will be cheaper.

Can't image what the cost would be for three weeks from Chengdu to Lhasa and you would probably be required to cover expenses for the car and driver to get back to Chengdu even if you did not travel back yourselves.
Mar 12, 2007 23:28
  • ROGERINCA
I agree 100% with Roo' on this plan !!

International DL's are not valid in China and the cost and effort to obtain a China license for just a trip like this, is just not worth it. Also, the responsibility of being so distant from large metro areas with a rental car would also be an issue.

You will save money and stress, to follow this advice for such a journey as this !! :)

Mar 14, 2007 06:14
  • APAULT
You wouldn't want to drive in China unless you have stayed there for a few weeks to learn the driving 'rules' !!!
Apr 9, 2007 23:47
  • JIUZHAIGOU
About 800-900rmb a day ,you can rent a car from Chegndu to Lahsa,but few driver like to do that,that would be challenges in their life if they choose Sichuan-northern way of Sichuan-Tibet-Lahsa.It will take about 5-10 days for the trip.

Mickal-Driver/guide in Chengdu

yahoo.com.cn|csm028
Apr 15, 2007 23:49
  • CDLADA
Not sure about rental cars in Chengdu, but do you want to have a Chinese Driver Licence?

We provide excellent one-stop-service to get your Chinese Driver Licence done!
Save your time! Save your money!

There is No sitted exam, No medical check, No resident certificate required!

For more details, simply contact us via email or phone.

Email: gmail.com|chinesedl
Phone: 0414 400 767 (Australia)
+ 61 414 400 767 (Overseas)
Fax: 02 9966 0666 (Australia)
+ 612 9966 0666 (Overseas)
Web: www.chinesedrivelicense.spaces.live.com
Apr 20, 2007 11:01
  • JABAROOTOO
How can your clients be sure that this is in fact a valid licence when three of the requirments are circumvented.

Hainan I think is the only Province currently offering car rental to non-nationals holding an international licence and a tourist visa

Everywhere else you are required to have a Chinese licence or hire a driver with the vehicle.
Apr 23, 2007 02:03
  • FISHFISH
You can call ComfortDelGro Rent-A-Car (Chengdu) Co Ltd. They are a Singapore company doing car rentals in Chengdu. They also provide chauffeur driven vehicles. English speaking service is also available.

Their webpage is www.cdgrentacar.com.cn

I have used their service when i was in Chengdu.

Their contact is Andrew +86 13981911152.

Check with them if you require car rentals there! Great service! Good drivers and clean cars!
Sep 18, 2010 17:26
GUEST25165 You don't need long to learn the driving rules - there is only one - "small gives way to big"
Sep 18, 2010 17:29
GUEST25165 I have used NZ license Sichuan no problems.
Feb 9, 2011 15:18
GUEST69191 Hey,

I have a NZ driver license too.. so how did you get away with using it?

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: car rental in Chengdu
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code