Menu
new boy need your help
Mar 11, 2007 20:54
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I second Jabarootoo's advice- sneak off on your own and wander down random alleyways whenever you get the chance. Best way to see the country. Even in the most touristy areas, that little tactic will get you a good glimpse of the real China.
Mar 11, 2007 21:38
  • PUBLIUS
I too know next to nothing about Tai Chi, but the morning practitioners that I've seen were very welcoming of others of various proficiencies and nationalities. Just be prepared to wake up early and take note of where the parks are in the cities you visit.

Your trip sounds wonderful!

Cheers and enjoy,

Publius
Mar 12, 2007 01:13
  • LIONPOWER
What about your Chinese language?
How you will rent a car?
How you will bargain in the shop?
How you will return to your hotel, if left in any place?
Mar 12, 2007 08:18
  • JABAROOTOO
They are on a fully guided tour (no car rentals here) and most Auzzies worth thier salt can navigate there way back to their hotels. I've never lost one of mine yet, and I've been in some pretty big cities. I was riding buses around here in Chongqing before I learned any language. A little tip of course is to take the hotel business card with you and most shop assistants have a calculator and the alternative is to write on a peice of paper. If you are in a place that bargains they usually speak a little English. 'Don't you worry about that.'

The last comment is for Peter. Does it sound familiar????
Mar 15, 2007 00:35
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks very much everybody - your advise really appreciated and i would love to meet any of you anytime. - if your in victoria - love to buy you a beer andi will publish my itinary when i get it so that i might buy you one in China.

off toNew Zealand in april then Queensland for three months so China-end of the year or early next year.

was advised to get maningacocheal - hepa injections - anything else i should arrange.

thanks for your time

kindest personal regards

peter
Mar 15, 2007 10:03
  • JABAROOTOO
Now you have us all green with ENVY Three months in Q !!!! You sound like a snowbird. Where do you hideout or are you touring around?????

Mar 15, 2007 10:08
  • JABAROOTOO
Just saw the injections. Hep A is advisable, although I am not covered at the moment with no problems to date. But I know a Chinese freind was hospitalized with one just recently. Not good.

Depends where you are going. Meningachochael (spelling) is passed by mosquitos, right??? Again just use good preventative methods. It shouldn't be a problem for you either
Mar 15, 2007 12:57
  • LIONPOWER
Hi jabarootoo,
What is the good preventative methods?
Mar 16, 2007 02:28
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks very much Conny i am very sure that i will enjoy every day

I am looking foreward to the cruise ship as well.

kind regards peter
Mar 16, 2007 05:12
  • JABAROOTOO
Peter,
A good insect repellant although I find the mozzies here don't like me as much as thye love the locals. And some places have something like sandflies (I've never seen them) but get awfully itchy if they are around. You can buy a little bottle of nasty smelling green stuff here over the counter at the pharmacy but RID is your best bet, or something like it.

I use the green Chinese stuff here 'cos it is a little more healthy but you have to lather it on sometimes to get a good night's sleep. Everyone knows it.

Narcissus is the brand. It's called Essential Balm or Feng You Jing, essentially eucalyptus and clove oil, used as a balm for insect bites but very effective in avoiding them in the first place @ a cost of around 75 cents a bottle.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: new boy need your help
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code