Menu
When China will be an economically RICH country?
Mar 28, 2007 09:17
  • CHYNAGYRL
The good news is that, China's GDP per capita, within 50 years, is predicted to be HALF of Western Europe's. That is very good, considering right now it's at 15% of Western Europe's.

SANYACHINA, you are right, China is a lot more advanced that many foreigners think. A lot of the cities are modern and shiny. I was surprised to learn that it has one trillion dollars in foreign reserves. However, they're still not providing so well for the poorest people, namely farmers. Those farmers (among the poorest) are still paying for their medicre out of their own pockets, and I heard they still pay the highest taxes in China. So... it would be nice if China could spread the wealth equally ... and build peace that way!
Mar 28, 2007 17:21
  • SANYACHINA
About the farmers as I know they are free of tax already, so someone told me that is may be the one and only country in the World where the farmers are not paying taxes.
Also I will tell you something - many farmers who are able to sell thir products on the streets in the towns and cities are not so poor. Specially if they are selling fruit or/and vegetables to foreigners. Sometimes they are able to sell to the "stupid and rich laowai" 1/2 kilo of cherry or banana for more than 100 RMB. In the same time I have to work in some cases 8 to 12 hours to earn the same 100 RMB ...
The about so called "beggars" on the street - some of them after the "working day" just change the dirty clothes and going to drive their Japanese or German cars. In the cities a "beggar" can earn 500 RMB per day or more.
So the statistics is one thing, but the real life is another thing.
About PER CAPITA - I am not a big fen of this. I think it is not very objective measure. If someone do not believe me - we can open a new thread and I will explain you why.
Mar 28, 2007 19:34
  • APAULT
Sorry SanyaC but I am not so sure the beggars are as you say. I would like to see the evidence of beggars earning this much. I have watched beggars because people told me this story. The ones I checked out were just getting by, they received very little. It seems to me that this is a convenient story to ease peoples' consciences when they don't give. As for driving big cars, I checked out one beggar in Shanghai working a spot near a backpacker hostel who probablty did better than most. He walked (actually, hobbled) a few blocks and slept under a bridge.
Mar 28, 2007 20:03
  • ELLEN77
I hope the same with you CHYNAGYRL. In fact, the CHinese government has begun to consider much about farmers now. Maybe things would be better soon.
The group of beggers is really a problem. It is absolutely that there are some who are really in bad conditions and others are not. It is just difficult to differentiate them.
Mar 29, 2007 09:51
  • LIONPOWER
Hello Sanya,
What about the disabled people in China.
Whats the Govt. plan?
Mar 29, 2007 16:25
  • SANYACHINA
"Sorry SanyaC but I am not so sure the beggars are as you say. I would like to see the evidence of beggars earning this much."

Well, you know sometimes we can't find even evidences about who kill somebody. So I can't show you evidences. But you can count a little bit. If you are stayng with a "broken/missing" leg in front of some temple, hospital, subway, etc. and if around you every minute are crossing 100 - 180 people, what approximately will be your "salary" after few hours.

"I have watched beggars because people told me this story. The ones I checked out were just getting by, they received very little. It seems to me that this is a convenient story to ease peoples' consciences when they don't give. As for driving big cars, I checked out one beggar in Shanghai working a spot near a backpacker hostel who probablty did better than most. He walked (actually, hobbled) a few blocks and slept under a bridge."

A CCTV reportage showed us many "beggars", may be you found some real beggars. Of course not every beggar is fake. But cheaters are too much, so I already stop to give money.

Mar 29, 2007 16:27
  • SANYACHINA
Lionpower, I don't know exactly but I am sure the plan will be good.
Mar 29, 2007 20:17
  • TRAVELDREAM
CHYNAGYRL, Chinese farmers don't pay any tax to the government. Instead, they can get a small amount of money from the government. Moreover, after paying 10 RMB per year, they can claim compensations for serious diseases. (Sorry, I'm not sure what diseases are covered.)
Mar 29, 2007 21:56
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Sanyachina, you have grossly overstated the case. It is true that their are many fake beggars, but the idea of being able to change one's clothes and climb into a car, even a Chinese one, is simply absurd. And:

"Sometimes they are able to sell to the "stupid and rich laowai" 1/2 kilo of cherry or banana for more than 100 RMB."

Although many naive and inexperienced laowai are often cheated, this is so far over the top as to be simply ridiculous.
Mar 30, 2007 04:22
  • MAY001
"Sometimes they are able to sell to the "stupid and rich laowai" 1/2 kilo of cherry or banana for more than 100 RMB."

Many sellers are not farmer at all. They buy the fruit and vegetables from the farmer in a very low price and then sell them to both laowai and Chinese in a higher price.

Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: When China will be an economically RICH country?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code