Menu
Collection of Sichuan Cuisine, do u like them?
Mar 23, 2007 12:18
Love the food BBQQ!

Looking at your naming of the dishes reminds me of the difficuty I have picking dishes in restaurants when I am in China... recognising the food from the naming is often very difficult! For example, none of the pork dishes seems to use the character for pig (zhu) in the description. My knowledge of Chinese language and writing is still very limited, so it can be very frustrating in Restaurants, especially if they do not have picture menus.

Has anybody any good tips for foreigners trying to order in Chinese Restaurants when in China? For instance, how do you get all the dishes to arrive together correctly? It seems that when my wife & I have been eating, the dishes come one at a time, and too far apart for best enjoyment, whilst people at other tables manage to get it to arrive in appertising groups of plates together.

Keep up the picture posts, they are always excellent!
Mar 24, 2007 22:41
  • LIONPOWER
It’s the negligence’s of servicing people.
Possible to get every thing at a time.

Some time we did not taking all together because the temperature of the foods may reduce.
Mar 25, 2007 01:54
  • FAERIEQUEENE
My husband tips when he's travelling in asia is to ask for the recommendations and from that the waiter would describe the dishes and he could ask for what he wants.

As for dishes are served, we always do not hesitate to remind the waiter right after our order the sequence to be served. But Chinese cuisine is by nature for eating together and in smaller towns the dishes are brought in as soon as they are done or cooked. But usually the appetizers come quicker than the cooked dishes... and buns and rice are always given in the good time.

In Hong Kong there are those restaurants, usually with a tradition or famous for some food, whose rhythm of business is so hectic that they must have your choice of coffee or tea in your order and bring them with everything including the complmentary desserts in in go! I dont mind if they are good food
Mar 25, 2007 17:01
  • APAULT
Oh, such beautiful food - I can't wait to get back! Bring on the Sichuan food, a meal without chillies is just eating!

(BBQQ, I think the one you labelled 'sole' looks like small squid)
Mar 25, 2007 21:00
  • MAY001
Yes, I think it's better to ask the waiter. Even I am a Chinese, some dishes' names are also confusing. So I will ask the waiter to explain.
Mar 26, 2007 18:42
  • SANYACHINA
BBQQ, it is so aesthetical!!! It is like a true art! Thanks for showing us! Perfect!
Mar 26, 2007 19:49
  • BBQQ
Thanks, guys. I love Sichuan, LOL
Mar 29, 2007 10:11
  • LIONPOWER
Late Thanks
Mar 30, 2007 02:27
  • ROSEKNIGHT
Hi Traveller Mike,
When I first go to a restaurant and have no idea of what to order, I will ask the waiter what's their specialities, and explain them briefly.
Mar 30, 2007 11:35
Thakyou for all the helpful recommendations - I will try to engage the waiters in more discussion in future. So much food and so little time :-D
Page 4 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Collection of Sichuan Cuisine, do u like them?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code