Menu
Do you believe that Chinese circumnavigated the world in 1421?
Apr 16, 2007 05:47
  • IMOTHEP
Hi CHRISWAUGHBJ

If you want my advice, I wouldn't believe everything you read on the net. Internet is a powerful tool, but is also open to individual speculation which most of the times is not very helpful.
The fact that you can find on the net some white nationalist crackpot group trying to link the Solutreans presence in America is irrelevant.
The people who have worked on the Solutreans research are real academics, and they have presented a powerful case relying on genetics and anthropology.
If you want a starting point to make up your on mind about the subject, I would suggest watching a 2002 documentary produced by the BBC called "Stone Age Columbus".
You can read the synopsis of the program here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/columbus.shtml

Finally, concerning the Menzies story, I have no doubt that it was a self-promotion stunt, which can only be qualified as fiction. I say that being an Historian myself who have studied that period of history for the last 20 years.
Apr 16, 2007 22:30
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I would've expected more information from reasonably reliable sources to show up online, though, but I found nothing of the sort, which is why I'm maintaining a healthy degree of scepticism on the subject for the time being.

I agree with you on Menzies, though.
Apr 23, 2007 04:14
  • ANTONIO
China's greatest adventurer, Zheng He was a Muslim, and a eunuch. Don't matter what Menzies wrote, what you and i believe - the "truth" (if it's the truth) is hard for Americans to stomach. Columbus is so much more kosher, don't you think? A China man discovered America? No way! (Ahem, "yes" to your question)
Apr 23, 2007 04:14
  • ANTONIO
China's greatest adventurer, Zheng He was a Muslim, and a eunuch. Don't matter what Menzies wrote, what you and i believe - the "truth" (if it's the truth) is hard for Americans to stomach. Columbus is so much more kosher, don't you think? A China man discovered America? No way! (Ahem, "yes" to your question)
Apr 24, 2007 09:43
  • IMOTHEP
Antonio
Please do not bring down this thread to the level of senseless xenophobism. If you have a fair comment, go ahead and post it. If you just want to wind up people, than I suggest you go somewhere else.
May 1, 2008 20:47
GUEST18856 Wow that was a debate
Jun 1, 2009 17:36
GUEST86107 I have always been fascinated by the possibility the Chinese were one of the first to reach the new world (N. & S. America) before Columbus. As someone of Chinese ancestry I have examined the subject since the 1980s. I don't think many Chinese scholar would come to the conclusion we were the first to travel around the world. But many would agree that sometime in history they did reach the west coast of N. & S. America by the currents running off Japan east to Alaska and down the American coast.

If the Chinese did circumnavigate the world, I think they could have easily done it in the Tong or the Sung Dynasties which is a few hundred years before the Ming. As far as I know by the porcelain found they only went as far as the east coast of Africa (present day Kenya). They had the technology to do go around the world but there is insufficient evidence according to historical archives and artifacts found.

There were accounts that Buddhist monks reached N. America by the currents off Japan a few hundred years before the Ming.

What about the map that was supposedly a copy of a Ming map during the Ching? The map could have been a copy of an even earlier Chinese map from the Tong or the Sung (yet to be proven).
Jun 4, 2009 04:41
GUEST999
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHYNAGYRL View Post

I saw a book recently called "1421" , theorizing that the Chinese navy, (lead by the eunuch Zheng He) in 1421, early Ming Dynasty, actually reached North America. It's already known that Zheng He led the navy to Eastern Africa by 1421, but do you think that theory holds that the Chinese discovered North America before Columbus? It's a very intr...

I BELIEVE THIS MUCH MORE THAN THAT FAIRYTALE OF AMERICA LANDING ON THE MOON - WHAT A FARCE!!!
Jul 21, 2009 01:52
GUESTMICHAELLAS tks for the effort you put in here I appreciate it!
Jul 21, 2009 17:01
GUEST14540
Better question:

Who discovered CHINA? ~.-

Page 4 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you believe that Chinese circumnavigated the world in 1421?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code