Menu
Pirates of Singapore, Chow Yun fat
Mar 26, 2007 03:21
  • MAY001
The most popular movie recently must be Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End. The 20 minutes prevue unveiled globally on Mar, 20. But, unfortunately, it is said that the role played by Hong Kong actor Chow Yun fat is considered to be ugly and insulting to Chinese by some Chinese netizens. Meanwhile, Singapore is illustrated as the base of pirates, which offended many Singaporean and aroused great demurral.

Mar 26, 2007 03:25
  • MAY001
In this movie, pirates come from all over the world. And Chow Yun fat's role, Captain Sao Feng, is a bareheaded, tattooed oriental pirate with long nail and beard. Some Chinese netizens think it is really a pity to see the image of Chinese in this movie is so disappointed. However, some think it is a cool and different role apart from his other roles.

Mar 26, 2007 03:27
  • MAY001
Captain Sao Feng said 'Welcome to Singapore' in this prevue. Singapore is the name of pirates' base in the movie, which aroused great object in Singapore (the true country). Many believe that this will bring great negative effect to Singapore because Singapore is a country tie closely tomarine transport. But the movie wasn't shot in Singapore.
Mar 26, 2007 03:35
  • MAY001

Mar 26, 2007 03:59
  • BBQQ
It is a despair that Chow Yun Fat chose to act another kind of role after his not very excellent performance in 'Curse of the Golden Flower'.

In my opinion, these two films spend much more capital and manpower than the previous films in which Chow Yun Fat has acted, but the previous ones are more attractive for me, such as the series of God of Gamblers and Once a Thief , Criss-Cross Over Four Seas.

Mar 26, 2007 09:02
  • CALIFORNIA
No ideas:-(
Mar 26, 2007 12:52
  • LIONPOWER
Many man, many minds
Mar 26, 2007 21:07
  • STOCKTOV
Chow Yun Fat is an actor. Actors play different roles. Usually people who go to see movies understand that these are fictional and thus just a flight of fancy, not historical fact. I don't believe that anyone who sees this film is going to assess Chow Yun Fat's portrayal as it ties in with representing an image of Singaporeans. I really wish that the Chinese media, or whomever seems so incredibly sensitive these days, would just understand that it's not such a big deal and nobody is trying to bring the image of anyone else down, nor are they trying to make a bad name for any group or nationality of people.

It's going to be a fun film! Just enjoy it...they're going to the end of the world, after all....!!
(and how realistic can that be?)
Mar 27, 2007 02:07
  • MAY001
Yes, I agree with you, stocktov. Just a movie, and a funny movie at all. Personally, I like the role Chow played, Seemed very interesting.
Post a Reply to: Pirates of Singapore, Chow Yun fat
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code