Menu
Treating or go dutch?
Mar 28, 2007 22:28
  • EVENING
Hi there,

In China, when several friends are dining toghther, one of them will be treating, namely to pay the whole bill for everyone. Then next time when they eat together agin, another will be the host!

But I hear most westerners prefer a Dutch treat, that is to pay the bill seperately. This is the cultural difference I think.

So, what about you, my friends, what kind of ways do you really like?

cheers^.&
Mar 28, 2007 23:36
  • CHYNAGYRL
Yes, many Westerners go Dutch in restaurants, and I like it that way. However, among Chinese people, there is a tendency to do it the traditional Chinese way (take turns paying). Especially people with good jobs show their generosity by paying for the whole table.

There is special kind of "going Dutch", used with large groups of friends, where the bill is split equally among the diners. It's not my favourite way because people who eat modestly (like me) subsidize the meals for people who order big steaks, desserts, and drinks... So I still like to go Dutch, just plain Dutch.
Mar 29, 2007 00:10
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Among classmates and colleagues, yes we pay by ourselves. But for friends and couples we also invite each other, usually the one who makes the invitation pays the bill. Also it’s not uncommon that a gentleman pays for the lady even its a business meal
Mar 29, 2007 00:15
  • LIONPOWER
I like to pay all bills if I senior in that party and friends party, by turn like Chinese people.
Mar 29, 2007 15:24
  • FALLOUT
Mainly use the Dutch way, though I didn't knew it had that name, though :-)
But it depends, when going out to dinner in a group is common to use the "half Dutch" as told by CHYNAGYRL, while other times, specially between older people, among close friends or when going out to drink (for each round) the traditinal way is more common.
Mar 29, 2007 17:18
  • APAULT
In Australia we most often split the bill...equal shares like Chynagirl described. I agree that it is unfair on the frugal eaters, but so is the Chinese way of treating if you have equal turns. Actually, an all girls group in Australia will often be each pays her own.

In China I follow the Chinese custom EXCEPT like LP says the senior person may be the one to pay. When I take Chinese friends out to dinner I normally insist on paying (though it can be hard to insist sometimes) because I am well paid compared with them. They can easily 'save face' if they feel it is necessary, by buying me an ice cream after we leave the restaurant.
Mar 29, 2007 20:24
  • MAY001
Yes, when I met one of our TCG member in Xian, he insist to pay for me cos he think he earns much than me. And also, he's a gentleman. But I regret that I didn't buy him an ice cream. :(
Mar 29, 2007 22:19
  • LIONPOWER
Never, never and never
guest will pay in my country.
It's very shameful for our local tradition.
Mar 30, 2007 01:27
  • JANFRISK
A share of the bill, never in public!
If you're short of money, deal with it aftewards, with friends,
who will pay next time your'e dining together, easy.
Mar 30, 2007 19:33
  • APAULT
OK, LP I will visit you!!

But seriously, as a teacher in China, I am not a guest, I am a colleague, and as I have a resident permit I am a temporary Chinese.

Also, if my Chinese freinds paid for me all the time, or even in equal turns it would reduce the number of times we go out - I would not be able to ask my colleagues out very often as I know the cost to them is a much greater part of their income. I was very happy to take my teacher colleagues out to dinner once a week, they 'paid' their turn by looking after me whenever I had a difficulty. Although we are in China and should mostly follow Chinese custom we must sometimes merge customs for practical reasons - where there are big salary differences there is a good reason to do this.
Mar 30, 2007 23:45
  • LIONPOWER
Paul ,
Welcome heartily.
And you can share in China too
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Treating or go dutch?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code