Menu
CCTV 9?
Oct 7, 2007 10:55
  • APAULT
Griz: you don't think there might be a reason you can understand the US speakers and I can't, do you?

I have been listening carefully to US programs on TV to try and understand why I have trouble. The actors mumble and in some cases speak at an incredible pace just like the newsreaders. I guess it's all in the name of 'reality' but as the stories are usually so far fetched , in the name of entertainment, it might be better if they concentrated on the traditional skills of acting like opening their mouths and speaking carefully. I never met anyone who had trouble understanding Hugh Grant, the English film actor.
Oct 8, 2007 09:20
  • HOODEDMANN
I am not a big fan of CCTV9 as HK English channels are way better (not perfect, but better). One thing i find a little awkward is the fact that CCTV9 uses mostly, as far as i know, Chinese reporters who all have this odd accent. I wonder why they don t hire some ABCs...
Oct 9, 2007 10:57
  • APAULT
Yes, Hooded, they do have a range of accents, even most of the locals have Americanised accents which are not common in China. I guess it's because the US is its target overseas market.

I agree that some of the HK English stuff is good and we do get more films than we would otherwise get, but I am extremely bored with HK politics and car crashes in HK... I want to know what's going on in the real China. Though it is interesting to see some ads relating to work and safety regs, equal opportunity etc... hopefully some of that might eventually brush off on th mainland oneday. It's also interesting to compare the early news with the later ones and see which bits are drowned out with local advs on the later ones.
Oct 10, 2007 03:19
  • HOODEDMANN
And something off topic, why is this forum soooo slow:-) I mean, it s very very slow. If there s a moderator out there, please have your webmaster fix this.
Nov 19, 2007 03:28
GUEST21472 CCTV9 is painfully booooring. News are repeated on and on and on. All news seems to be toothless and are designed to make an impression that everything is always very good and cannot be anyhow else. Thematic programmes like Documentary are repeated again and again. The commercial ads (there are only a few) are driving crazy as they use the same video and audio line within a year period and repeated every 5 minutes. The advertisement of a wooden floor company with a guy in white socks drinking coffee was like a real torchure. Watching CCTV1 and 8 is much more interesting.
Jan 8, 2008 19:27
  • GARYKINKADE
cctv9 is neat. the commercials are mild (and hope it remains that way) compared to u.s. stations. it's definitely a change of viewing for someone from central texas.
Mar 10, 2008 10:59
GUEST17919 I love CCTV9 and now that I am back in the States, I really miss that connection with the world, China, history, language and culture. If only American TV was anywhere near as good or had such a high quality of news and events.
Mar 13, 2008 21:51
  • GARYKINKADE
Guest 17919----- You can get it thru dish network if that service is available in your area.
Mar 14, 2008 22:30
  • YOUSUF
Yes, I watch CCTV9 in USA, and I like News Hour,Getaway,Biz China,Culture Expres and learning about China.
My son and I will be first time in China on business trip in April to attend Canton Fair.
We will also travel to different cities in China to visit Textile manufacturing companies.
I like to know the best way to travel, is it safe to travel by
train and see China as well.
My son and I do not speak Chinese.
Do I need a interpreter to travel with us?
I would appreciate some suggestions.
My email gmail.com|yousuf48
Mar 14, 2008 22:31
  • YOUSUF
Yes, I watch CCTV9 in USA, and I like News Hour,Getaway,Biz China,Culture Expres and learning about China.
My son and I will be first time in China on business trip in April to attend Canton Fair.
We will also travel to different cities in China to visit Textile manufacturing companies.
I like to know the best way to travel, is it safe to travel by
train and see China as well.
My son and I do not speak Chinese.
Do I need a interpreter to travel with us?
I would appreciate some suggestions.
My email gmail.com|yousuf48
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: CCTV 9?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code