Menu
Studying Buddhism in China
Apr 4, 2007 00:06
  • CHYNAGYRL
Can you tell me if Buddhism is still a very commonly practiced religion in China? I think it is a big part of Chinese culture but not sure how many people actually practice it.

I heard that the Diamond Sutra was the first printed book in the world (in China) -- and it sounds like an interesting book I would like to study it this summer. Is it difficult to read? (esp in Chinese). I'm kind of a dummy in Mandarin -- although I can read more than half of a Chinese newspaper. I'm interested in learning more about the Vajrayana school (which the Diamond Sutra is the bible) -- that Tibetan Buddhism -- since I'm planning to visit Tibet in the next few years. That, and learning how to meditate and quiet my mind to become a more peaceful person :-)

If you can tell me more that would be great.

Apr 4, 2007 00:40
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I can't give you any numbers, and I can't tell you how difficult the texts are to read, but all China's religions seem to have had a bit of a renaissance over the last 30-odd years. Here in Beijing the Lama Temple/Yonghegong isn't just a tourist attraction, it's also an active place of worship- and that should be right up your alley, if it's Tibetan Buddhism that attracts you. I'm sure if you look around and ask the right people the right questions you'll find what you're looking for.
Apr 4, 2007 02:02
  • MAY001
Have a look on this site:

Buddhism online
http://news.fjnet.com/english/
Apr 4, 2007 02:05
  • MAY001
Or http://www.buddhism-online.net/, the same website offering many info about Chinese Buddhism.
Apr 4, 2007 03:15
  • CALIFORNIA
You can read it easily,but difficult to understand.
Apr 4, 2007 20:43
I've always believed that Buddhism is deeply rooted in Chinese people's mind though we don't really know it. In the past, the influence of Buddhism on people's mind is no less than that of Confucianism. Later, people decided to do away with feudal superstitions and abolish all blind faith to welcome science and democracy. But actually they couldn't really differentiate Buddhism thought and practice from superstitions. So Buddhism was somewhat smothered by this action.
Apr 4, 2007 20:53
Buddhism is not so commonly practiced in China. Even the monks in some temples just take their job as a profession. In South China, many businessmen believe in Buddhism. When they visit temples, they worship these Buddhist characters devoutly with burning incenses. Incenses can be sold very expensive, some at several hundred RMB. But I doubt if thet are really Buddhists. Maybe they will at the same time worship Taoist immortals the same devotedly.
Apr 4, 2007 20:59
Tibetan Buddhism is much different from inland Buddhism. Visitors have to follow more rules when they visit Tibetan temples. Be careful when visiting Bon temples. Rules of Bon religion may be just the opposite to Buddhist rules. Make clear first the temple you are visiting belongs to which religion before you enter it.
Apr 5, 2007 02:15
  • TRAVELDREAM
Yes, Buddhism helps people to gain inner calmness. It is sometimes a good way to escape from earthly cares and chores.
Apr 5, 2007 03:31
  • MAY001
But don't you think it is kinda ivory-towered??
Apr 5, 2007 04:02
  • TOFLY
MAY:
There are still many monks who believe in kinda buddhisim fundamentalism or something. These ones are very different from the monks you usually see on TV or in the temples.
Their temples are usually very poor, because the fundamentalism dont allow the monks to ask for money, clothes,drugs and food, but tell them to wait for it. When these monks have to been show in the crowd on the road, they have to low their heads to look the ground but not the colored world(花花世界 in chinese, i dont how to exaclty express it).
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Studying Buddhism in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code