Menu
Old Embassy area in Shanghai
Apr 4, 2007 00:26
  • MCOLLINGE1
Does anyone have any current information about the old Foreign Embassy compund in Shanghai? This was a ring of houses behind a wall, in which the foreign diplomats lived, before WW2.

I stayed there in 1987 when it was still mostly abandoned, but there was one house which was functioning as a guest house/hotel.

This was also where part of Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun" was filmed.

Thanks
Apr 4, 2007 02:52
  • BBQQ
Do you mean the Bund area??
Apr 4, 2007 16:41
  • MCOLLINGE1
No, I don't think so. The embassy compound (from distant memory!) was on the opposite side of the city centre from the Bund, and about 10 to 15 minutes drive. This compound was just residential.

Thanks

Michael
Apr 5, 2007 02:26
you mean the English Concession?
Apr 5, 2007 05:50
  • ALLANJI
Dear Michael,
I'm living in shanghai now, I have a general imagination for what you mentioned above,
actually i can not tell you the exact name of the building, but i can judge from your information that the road was called Yu Yuan Road, near Jing An Si Park, it was a part of Shanghai International Settlement which was started in 1840s, a creation of the Opium War.
this area was mainly managed by english before WW2.

you know, many things have been changed recently, and in 1987, Director Spielberg truelly came there for producing a movie, ( i heard it but i did not watch it).

All I can provide was that, hope its usefull for you.

Allan/China
Apr 5, 2007 13:09
  • MCOLLINGE1
Could be! Concession sounds like the right word. But it was definitely the (diplomatic) residential area. But the definitive is the scenes in "Empire of the Sun", because I recognised some of the buildings in the movie, and especially the swimming pool.

Thanks for your help

Michael
Apr 5, 2007 13:13
  • MCOLLINGE1
Thanks Allan.

Your information sounds correct. I think there was a ring road with all the houses around this road, and a swimming pool in the middle.

Thank you for the detailed information about the exact location.

Michael
Apr 6, 2007 05:53
  • ALLANJI
You are welcome,
I'm pleased when you think it useful~
actually it's not difficult to make sure it in shanghai and next time you travell here u can do that,
I think many guys living here know the area you said, because the movie 'Empire of the Sun" is popular in China, (cos it's directed by Spielburg and the film was made in Shanghai~~~, )

Allan
Post a Reply to: Old Embassy area in Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code