Menu
Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Jul 21, 2011 03:10
GUESTC MAYNARD i had pre-booked an apartment for three weeks in shanghai using a website called move and stay , i live in the u.k. with my chinese wife and we were travelling to china to visit her family , my first visit was 3 years ago and we based ourselves in bejing and travelled to henan , we had booked anapartment then directly from the owner and had no problems , so i didnt contemplate there be any problems on this occassion either .
i had paid move and stay $180 for the deposit they wanted for a two bedroomed apartment in shanghai for three weeks , the balance and further deposit was to be paid directly to the agent in shanghai in RMB , we had no problems with this , the apartment building was called shanghai metro gardens serviced apartment and it was described as being a holiday apartment in a nice area and not too far from attractions .the agent in shanghai was a chinese lady but spoke good english and she was very helpful and sent us directions to the apartment.
we left heathrow on 27th july 2011 and arrived at pudong airport on 28th in the morning , after collecting our cases we made our way to the currency exchange kiosks but the exchange rates at the airport was very low and i knew i could get a better rate from visiting a bank , we proceeded to take a taxi and asked the taxi driver to take us to a bank of china branch , i needed about 8000 yuan to pay the apartment balance and deposit , we collected our currency at a much better rate then the airport currency kiosks and made our way to the apartment address we had been sent by the shanghai agent , the taxi driver stopped at a building in gonghexin road and pointed to a building , my first reaction was of disbelief , this could not be the building i had seen photos of on the move and stay website , i suddenly got that feeling that i was being conned , we proceeded to the building compound , there were about 3 buildings huddled together , there were people loittering outside , one man looked drunk , my wife then contacted the agent on the number she had given us to tell her we had arrived and we needed to get to our apartment building but she told us that we were already there , we entered the lobby of the building which was poorly lit and at that point i refused to go any further , my wife then contacted the agent , i spoke to her and she told me that i had booked the apartment in that building , i told her there was no way we were staying there , she said there was one other option but it was a one bedrrom apartment , i agreed to look at it and she instructed her assistant to take us on foot to a building that was situated around the corner , that building was worse than the first one , we got in the lift and the assistant got out at floor 24 but asked us to continue to floor 26 where she would meet us , at that point we decided to get out of the building , we went to a local hotel and stayed one night and we had to arrange accomodation from the internet .
i am so glad we walked away .
Jul 21, 2011 03:17
GUESTC MAYNARD i meant the 27th june 2011 and arrived on 28th june .

i am glad we walked away from that dirty , shabby looking building in gonghexin road , yes we did lose the $180 deposit that move and stay refuse to return but at least i didnt give them the 8000 yuan they requested , the apartment building looked unsafe and dirty and i noticed a massage parlour not far , definately not an area for respectable tourists , beware of fake websites and fake photos describing apartments that dont exist
Aug 29, 2011 01:04
  • PETERLEE12
I like your reply especially the example you have used for them "Bad Apples" actually they are really like a bad apple who can spoil all.
Sep 9, 2011 22:54
  • JACK87
I just returned from Inner Mongolia yesterday. It's worthy for we contracted with local vehicle leasing company and hotels. By doing this, the clients will be treated well during following national holiday.
I do know some companies just arrange accommodation after the travellers had chosen them, which will turn the travel into a mess. And relevant complaints are numerous nowadays.
Sep 19, 2011 23:45
  • SOLDAWAY
Hi,

After going through all the posts in this thread, I am afraid of traveling to China.

I was planning to travel to China (Shenzhen and Guangzhou) via HK in the first week of October. I am from India. How can I exchange currency? Will I need both HK dollars and RMB? Which currency is accepted on Louhu station? I will be traveling for business purpose. 25000 RMB cannot be sufficient to deal. I will atleast need 75000 RMB to spend. But, I heard that it is only allowed to carry 25000 RMB. What can I do?
Sep 19, 2011 23:48
  • SOLDAWAY
One more thing I am afraid of is:-

Let's say I take the products (memory cards) from the supplier after paid. Is it possible that after I leave their company, they ask thieves to take away cards from me? Are there any reliable suppliers in Shenzhen?
Sep 20, 2011 00:58
GUEST1441
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLDAWAY

One more thing I am afraid of is:-

Let's say I take the products (memory cards) from the supplier after paid. Is it possible that after I leave their company, they ask thieves to take away cards from me? Are there any reliable suppliers in Shenzhen?

You really think too much, SOLDAWAY. You just offered a suggestion to the seller Tell me where you are going to buy and I will be the thief.

Just kidding! There are good guys and bad guys. Don't worry. If you are worried about this, you may hire a bodyguard to protect you and your memory cards.
Sep 21, 2011 06:58
GUEST11885 Tips for Travel

1. Check the latest travel advice for your destination and subscribe to receive free e-mail notification each time the travel advice for your destination is updated.
2. Take out appropriate travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, including adventure sports, in which you plan to participate.
3. Before travelling overseas register your travel and contact details online or at the local Australian embassy, high commission or consulate once you arrive, so we can contact you in an emergency.
4. Obey the law. Consular assistance cannot override local laws, even where local laws appear harsh or unjust by Australian standards.
5. Check to see if you require visas for the country or countries you are visiting or transiting. Be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry.
6. Make copies of your passport details, insurance policy, travellers cheques, visas and credit card numbers. Carry one copy in a separate place to the originals and leave a copy with someone at home.
7. Check with health professionals for information on recommended vaccinations or other precautions and find out about overseas laws on travelling with medicines.
8. Ensure your passport has at least six months’ validity from your planned date of return to Australia. Some countries will refuse entry on arrival and some airlines will not allow passengers to board flights if their passport does not meet this requirement. Before travelling, you should contact the Embassy or High Commission of each country you intend to visit to confirm the entry requirements.
9. Leave a copy of your travel itinerary with someone at home and keep in regular contact with friends and relatives while overseas.
10. Before departing Australia check whether you are regarded as a national of the country you intend to visit. Research whether holding dual nationality has any implications for your travel.

Oct 14, 2011 09:43
  • DAVIDWU1103
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLDAWAY View Post

Hi,

After going through all the posts in this thread, I am afraid of traveling to China.

I was planning to travel to China (Shenzhen and Guangzhou) via HK in the first week of October. I am from India. How can I exchange currency? Will I need both HK dollars and RMB? Which currency is accepted on Louhu sta...

I don't know why you have this mind
It is not absolutely.
It will happen in every country.
One of friends lose a very expensiive watch when he passed the Italian Custom, and his bag was cut .
I think the most important thing is ask and talk with more people when you go
to a new place. You can draw a right conclusion after you get more information. See , ask, hear, and judege.
Oct 24, 2011 09:32
  • AUDJENSSON
The first thing to check is whether the deal is valid only for immediate travel or departures within a month. Any deal that wants you to hurry and pay in full for a holiday six months or more down the line is a worry. More so if it insists on credit card transactions. This is an old scam—paying up in full and well in advance means that you can’t even dispute the transaction at a later date since most banks give customers a 60-day window to flag off and address discrepancies. Also, the advance payment clause might hide an inconvenient cancellation policy.

Thanks.
Aud Jensson.
Last edited by AUDJENSSON: Oct 24, 2011 09:34
Page 14 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code