Menu
Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Apr 4, 2010 09:31
  • EDREAMSTRIPS
Hi Jane!

I agree in your comment! I love traveling as well that's why i joined here. I am a newbie and want to know more about traveling in ASIAN COUNTRY i am an American who loves to see historical places. Since you are a tourism student, i hope you can give me just a little bit of your advice. THANKS!!
Apr 11, 2010 21:36
  • WANG_JOHN
I had been treated before, it really depress me.
Jun 10, 2010 02:26
GUESTMIKE Bank cards only
Jun 18, 2010 08:44
  • OSMAN
thank you.actually i was planing to visit there
Jul 5, 2010 22:58
GUEST47130 Hi,

I just wanted to report a jewellery scam that happened to a group of us from Malaysia. We joined a local a one day tour that has it office in the hotel in Guangzhou which we stayed. Except us (6 foreigners) the rest of the tour members are from China.

After visiting one sight-seeing spot, the tour leader separated us from the rest of the china group and arranged for us to join a "private tour". We were bought to a jewellery store and make most welcomed by the "boss" of the store. We were shown beautifully ruby, jade jewelleries and were told b''cos we are "Malaysian" and the boss''s wife is also from M''sia and happened to recently gave birth to a baby boy (the boss of the jewel''s store has 3 daughters), he decided to give us a very special discount for buying the jewelleries. We bought about RMB20,000 worth of jewels.

However, we smell something fishy when we enter the van after buying the jewels as we noted the name card given by the store owner has no name of the store nor its address. When we call the store owner we cannot get through.

When we reached the hotel, we seek the tour agency boss and informed him we think we have been swindled and asked him why his tour guide bought us to such a shop! Luckily for us, he told us he will be fully responsible as this happened under his tour agency and managed to get our monies back and returned the jewels to the store owner.

So, travellers beware.... going to China... don''t be tempted nor be greedy! Those swindlers in China is a fantastic salespersons.

Also, BEWARE when visiting Temples esp. MONKS in yellow/orange robes... don''t accept any thing from them as it will lead to you spending a lot of "RMB" for special prayers, lighting the lotus flowers or freeing the "kui"/tortoises.
Sep 21, 2010 15:15
  • WANHU
Dear friends
For those visiting Luohu, please be aware that there are pickpockets near Wal-Mart supermarket by some boys and girls ages 10-12 (or maybe older). The girls usually watched by their parents or guardians from far while the boys usually on their own. They are bold enough to open the zipper of ladies handbags in a broad daylight.

On June 4th (evening) I went to buy something from the Walmart to prepare some drinks and snacks for my group departure to HK the next day, and I was aware a man of 40s was following me around the Walmart. After purchasing some drinks I noticed the man stopped following me so I let my guard down. Unknowingly a small girl probably age 12 tried to open my sling bag across my shoulder, and she managed to open the zipper. In China when you buy things at the supermarket, you won't get a free plastic bag. So intead of paying for a plastic bag, I just carried two packets of drinks in my both hands.

Luckily my nephew who was 10 metres in front saw the girl and rushed to me and held the girl's arms. The crowed gathered but I felt pity for this sm all girl, and I asked my nephew to let her go. Her face looked innocent. Suddenly the man who was following me in the Wal-Mart whisked this girl away.

On August 4, I was walking along the same road going back to the hotel which is at the intersection of Shennan Dadao and Wenjin Nan Lu, I saw across the road two boys were trying to steal from 2 ladies and their hands were dipping inside the ladies handbags. I shouted at them and the boys ran away laughing with some red colour RMB in their hands. According to some people I met, pickpocketing is quite rampants in this area.

Don't the authority and the police know about this unbecoming behaviour? I dread to think about the future of these young children, with no formal education and what happen if some victims retaliate in a harsh way? We should not only ask the people to beware of the pickpockets but hopefully at the same time, the relevant authority takes action to apprehend the culprit(s) behing the syndicate using children as their modus operandi.
Wan
Oct 21, 2010 15:49
  • TH_LINNET
I am never met some unpleasant travel traps may be I go with group tour.
Nov 28, 2010 04:24
  • FIOL85
fortunately i ve never had big problems when i was travelling around HK and FOSHAN.
I want to poit out that with HK i m not referring to Central or Fancies places, u know the 2 months there i just wanted to feel the normal hk ppl life, how they actually live..i didnt give a damn about the extra luxurious part of HK (sure i visited it but to me was hearless). Never had problems in restaurants,with ppl,with shoppers..nothing at all...if they didnt speak english we always could make it out in mandarin xD (as long as my chinese were understood).
Foshan was a bit different..there i had problems with my credit cards... i went to several small banks but i ve never been able to take money from the bank..my credit cards didnt work in any of those banks, but fortunately a bank clerk helped me out and said to me i should try at the bank of china..there..no problem.
Same went with the hotel and the supermarket (wallmart)...

other than that, no problem at all..didnt have problem on buying the train tickers or bus tickets..everything else was fine

note: i always travel alone or with my bro..no groups or organized tour
Last edited by FIOL85: Nov 28, 2010 04:36
Mar 25, 2011 01:29
  • KASSANDRA
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIZ326

Money changers! I know they are a necessary evil, but I always feel as if I've been taken after I change money. They might even have been fair with me, but money changing is one of the most unpleasant things for me to do ANYWHERE in the world.

Yes that is true, but if you follow the rule that you ALWAYS count it by yourself before accepting it, then you have much stress but you will be fine :-)
Jun 26, 2011 20:31
So sad Sorry to hear that, Indeed i truly agree! if there is good you must expect that there is also a evil.

http://www.globalvisas.com/
Page 13 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code