Menu
Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Jun 8, 2007 05:04
  • PETERSEAFORD
Dear Jane i am planning a trip to your country and would value your opinions and advise

would you please email me direct my name is peter

optusnet.com.au|pw39

thanks
Jun 12, 2007 03:59
  • JABAROOTOO
IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO PASS ON YOUR PRIVATE DETAILS USING THE MESSAGE BOX FOR EACH MEMEBER
YOU RISK GETTING JUNK MAIL FROM THOUSANDS IF YOU SHARE IT PUBLICLY !!!!!!!!
Jun 28, 2007 06:31
  • TIFOSAY
Hi,
I'm sad to hear from fellow travellers esp. those who have been ripped off. I guess there are such unscrupulous people in the travel trade all over the world. And it's good that we've an avenue( this website) to voice our concerns and also relate our sob-sob stories. I'm sure many will benefit from these stories and be wiser.
My story began in Shenzheng, my brother-in-law and sister were shopping along the roadside, when they were approached(by a tout) to have their names written in Chinese characters and in colours and it was FREE!. Being so naive, they accepted the offer and when it was done, they were asked to pay abt. 500 rmb. But when they protested and refused to pay, the "artist" said that the FREE offer given by that tout had nothing to do with him!! This is definitely a con-scam. Now we're very careful about anything that's FREE. There's NO such thing as a FREE lunch.
Sharing such obnoxious experiences help us to be on our guard and make us be more alert of such unscrupulous practices in the travel business.
Enjoy your travel and be safe
Tien
Jun 29, 2007 15:51
  • KIMMY28
We are traveling with China spree on the China's Best Treasures
tour, I hope we will be safe. I am a bit worried after reading about the
guy getting beaten up. I will be taking my 13 year old son along with me
and I would KILL someone if they tried to hurt him.

Kimberly
Jun 29, 2007 21:21
  • TIFOSAY
Wow!! Kimberly,you sounded that you're going to tour China fully armed. You don't have to do that. Just be careful and ask around for advice (like this forum) before going out on your own.Dress simply, don't display your excessive wealth on your body, even if you wear an imitation branded watch/dress, the crooks won't know it's a fake. China, like many other nations, do have crimes and criminals are found all over the world, even in communist, dictatorial or even closed countries.In fact, ask the people in the travel agencies for advice. When I was in Guangzhou city, the asst.manager of the hotel advised us against taking lonely/dimly-lighted lanes. They(the people in the hospitality trade) stay and work in the city, so they know the 'ground'. We did have a nice time in that city.
Do have a nice time and leave your worries at home.
Tien
Jul 5, 2007 03:23
  • PETERSEAFORD
when tourists from Japan Korea and China arrive in Australia they usually prefer to stick with asian tour guides and they - without fail- are taken to shops to be ripped off .
it was the subject of a tv show here reciently where tourists to the Gold Coast are taken to special shops selling articles for SEVERAL HUNDRED TIMES the normal price.

many people have gone out of business because they will not pay the enormous commissions that tourist agencies demand.

because there is no price control in Australia these crooks are not breaking the law but we vieu it as shameful but all the tour companies do it.

tourists from everywhere must MEET THE PEOPLE OF THE LANDS THEY VISIT AND SHOP WHERE THEY SHOP .

thats what i do - i ask a local person where he or she would go to buy an article - they know best and have no interest in ripping you off either.

ordinary people in Australia are the same as ordinary people anywhere - friendly - willing to help - happy to please - and appreciate "thanks mate"

regards peter
Jul 10, 2007 03:11
  • NEWBBIE
Well, the best way to avoid being ripped off is to have a local to bring you along, though I'm also a chinese, the moment I open my mouth they can tell that I'm not local. Just to share a bad experience. While I was in Weihai at the Jetty to Liugong Island, (Weihai is supposed sell cheap fishing rods, especially at the Jetty cos there are many shops there and I suppose it rather competitive) hunting for a fishing rod, the 1st shop I approached quoted me RMB 250 for the rod, I went on to the 2nd and 3rd shop for quotes, cheaper as I went on. I finally bought it from the 5th shop at a price of RMB 120. And on my way out the 1st shop owner saw me carry the rod and asked me how much I bought it for and I said RMB100, to my suprise he said he can sell it to me at RMB 80. I bought another similar rod from him at RMB 80, planning as a gift for my brother. My question is why he has to quote me RMB250 at the very begining for something that he would sell at only RMB80? Isn't it too much?
Jul 10, 2007 05:01
  • EVENING
Has any of you happended to fake currencies?

One of my foreign friends went to Guanzhou. He lived in Dong Fang Hotel. When he exchanged his money in the front desk, he was given RMB 250, which were totally fake currencies!

The hotel didn't confess the fake money, but my friend provided enough evidence to prove it. Fortunately he got his real RMB 250 at last.

I must say there are still many evil guys making fake currencies, so just want to remind you to be vigilant for fake currencies during your travel, no matter where you go.
Jul 10, 2007 05:02
  • EVENING
Sorry for my spelling mistake. Should be Guangzhou, not Guanzhou.
Jul 12, 2007 08:05
  • KRUUTH
There is a great scam going on in Beijing. You usually get accosted by a cute girl or two, wanting oyu to look at the work of a "famous artist" who is in town for a few days. The goal is to get you to buy expensive copies of nice art. Lots of high-pressure sales. Just keep in mind that whatever they're selling you can get it cheaper and probably of higher quality elsewhere.
Page 3 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell Others Your Travel Traps here!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code